are vortex pst 6x24 clear at max power

What gives?? you have a very bad source of information.:rolleyes:

Broz, do you own them ??

Can you please speak honestly on experience.
Share your cons and pros, need as much info.

After looking around at range, I felt like I didnt belong there today. It was a shoot out and the winds kicked my butt. These folks have Schmidt & Bender and others had really really expensive scopes. I was with a buddy and yes were both new to LRH, but when was trying to ask a question during cease fire these folks acted like were scum pee on who work at radio shack or something. I politely introduced myself and as am asking questions they kept on talking we re invisible.

Felt out of place, never had that happen. One guy said dont waste your life savings on vortex ??? Like if he knew my occupation ??
Real know it all, oh look at me type. Granted there skills were beyond believe, but so was there ego. I just hope nobody in this forum is like that.

Thats why am asking about vortex pst. We bought nikons monarch because we were so **** eager to shoot 1000yd 3years ago. Now I want to sell the last nikon for vortex, but needed some real proof, which I believe I ll get here.

Thanks everyone in advance and sorry for me long range story today

I have used , set up shot several PST's. There glass is pretty darn good for the price. If you want to read what guys here have discussed about why not try the search box in the upper right corner? It searches this forum and will reveal many results already posted. Search Viper PST or PST review and see if you can get questions answered.

That's where I would start. Many with experience may not wish to enter a new thread if they have already posted things more than once.

Jeff

The vortex is a very good long range scope and in fact was the scope I was going to buy before I decided to bite the bullet, sell some stuff and go NF. Very sorry to hear about that bunch of jackals at the range but can assure you, you have found a great forum eith very freindly and knowledgable folk who will gladly help if they can. And Broz has probably forgot more about this game than most people know so im sure he'll chime back in for ya.

I have used , set up shot several PST's. There glass is pretty darn good for the price. If you want to read what guys here have discussed about why not try the search box in the upper right corner? It searches this forum and will reveal many results already posted. Search Viper PST or PST review and see if you can get questions answered.

That's where I would start. Many with experience may not wish to enter a new thread if they have already posted things more than once.

Jeff

Definitely will use search bar

The vortex is a very good long range scope and in fact was the scope I was going to buy before I decided to bite the bullet, sell some stuff and go NF. Very sorry to hear about that bunch of jackals at the range but can assure you, you have found a great forum eith very freindly and knowledgable folk who will gladly help if they can. And Broz has probably forgot more about this game than most people know so im sure he'll chime back in for ya.

Which night yoh bought and why ??

Which night yoh bought and why ??

When I was looking I was eyballin the 6x24x50. I wanted a sfp scope, with an moa reticle. And in its price range I thought it was about as good as it gets........

I had not heard of your issue untill today but I can see you found another thread in which someone else had. Im sorry I dont have first hand experience for you but perhaps someone else will weight in as I know lots of folks here seem to be using vortex.

When I was looking I was eyballin the 6x24x50. I wanted a sfp scope, with an moa reticle. And in its price range I thought it was about as good as it gets........

I had not heard of your issue untill today but I can see you found another thread in which someone else had. Im sorry I dont have first hand experience for you but perhaps someone else will weight in as I know lots of folks here seem to be using vortex.

Yeah I found almost the same post under search of guy having issues with clarity at high power. Something is up here, vortex maybe having a bad batch. I wonder if they darken edges of glass to eliminate that issues like Leopold. I been reading there literature 3hrs and its impressive. Lets see were my wallet takes me

Last edited:
The vortex pst scopes both ffp and second are really good glass for the money and have many options that are not available on any other scopes on the market in that price range. I think a common problem that many face when just looking through one in the store or at the range is proper eye alignment. These scopes are designed with what I would call a tight eye box and eye relief and position are critical for optimum performance. Once you get the correct alignment they are very useable at the higher magnifications.

Vortex relies on feed back from shooters to make their products as user friendly as possible and better yet they listen and back it up with a unbeatable warranty.

The 2014 line-up is jam packed with long range friendly optics from budget buys to the super high end gen II razors. The guys at the range that where flapping their gums probably have never spent much time with a vortex scope of any kind.

It is a shame but sometimes in shooting sports you will run into very opinionated people with deep pockets who act like if your equipment didn't cost a years salary than it aint worth a darn. Well that's not the case.

Long range shooting isn't cheap, but it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to be competitive either.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site and the search function is your friend.

Jordan@406

The vortex pst scopes both ffp and second are really good glass for the money and have many options that are not available on any other scopes on the market in that price range. I think a common problem that many face when just looking through one in the store or at the range is proper eye alignment. These scopes are designed with what I would call a tight eye box and eye relief and position are critical for optimum performance. Once you get the correct alignment they are very useable at the higher magnifications.

Vortex relies on feed back from shooters to make their products as user friendly as possible and better yet they listen and back it up with a unbeatable warranty.

The 2014 line-up is jam packed with long range friendly optics from budget buys to the super high end gen II razors. The guys at the range that where flapping their gums probably have never spent much time with a vortex scope of any kind.

It is a shame but sometimes in shooting sports you will run into very opinionated people with deep pockets who act like if your equipment didn't cost a years salary than it aint worth a darn. Well that's not the case.

Long range shooting isn't cheap, but it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to be competitive either.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site and the search function is your friend.

Jordan@406

Well said 406,

I desperately need a better scope, just never imagine I would be curious to know everything a scope is made from. Down to titanium spring in nightforce beast model. Just the price is hurting, thats why I really like pst. Its everything I want, I will wait for the new ebr c2 reticle to come out.

The exit pupil at 24x is very small, as it would be with any other 24x scope with a 50mm objective. That means that you have to have your eye aligned pretty good to see the entire field of view without vignetting. The longer the eye relief, the narrower the field of view. Short eye relief, wider field of view. No free lunch.

I got the FFP so that I did not need to be concerned about shooting at exactly full magnification. If there is 1 weakness with the PST scope, it is that Vortex decided not to impliment a full and clear magnification scale. The magnification "ring" is not a ring at all (except the part you grip) but it has "islands" that say 4x, 6x, etc and there are few points in the higher magnification range. So with a SFP reticle, one is really guessing what magnification you are on which is not such a great idea. One should at least have a clear 18x and 12x marks so that one can apply simple math to a sfp reticle subtention.

The exit pupil at 24x is very small, as it would be with any other 24x scope with a 50mm objective. That means that you have to have your eye aligned pretty good to see the entire field of view without vignetting. The longer the eye relief, the narrower the field of view. Short eye relief, wider field of view. No free lunch.

I got the FFP so that I did not need to be concerned about shooting at exactly full magnification. If there is 1 weakness with the PST scope, it is that Vortex decided not to impliment a full and clear magnification scale. The magnification "ring" is not a ring at all (except the part you grip) but it has "islands" that say 4x, 6x, etc and there are few points in the higher magnification range. So with a SFP reticle, one is really guessing what magnification you are on which is not such a great idea. One should at least have a clear 18x and 12x marks so that one can apply simple math to a sfp reticle subtention.

Thats why I posted 4sale ad on nikon. At 1000yd I had to zoom down cause of mirage and forgot to bring cheat sheet of new POI. That's why FFP is very important to me..I ll wait for new scope and get reviews

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.