Are Remy's overrated

JE, glad to hear you're OK. can't say i envy you southerners when the storms pick up.

as far as the 3x, like i said, this was just the gravity direction flex test. they'll all work well if fitted right, and of course, blow up if things are done very wrong.

they are all my gunsmith will work on ( except custom) . true the action 125$ . have a krieger ( or your selection ) installed . adjust the trigger . put a leup 6.5-20 or your choice and feel the magic. you will never want to shoot or load for a factory barrel again. senderos are close though.

In the original post the safety issue was raised. I have heard that the Rem's have a propensity to miss fire. I hate to even say it. Can someone here give the skinny about how the facts to this claim come down? In other words, is it true and why?

Thanks,
Steve

In the original post the safety issue was raised. I have heard that the Rem's have a propensity to miss fire. I hate to even say it. Can someone here give the skinny about how the facts to this claim come down? In other words, is it true and why?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve.

I bought my first Remingtion in 1962 and have never had any missfires or extraction
problems with any remingtions (several hundreds) to date.

You can have problems with any rifle if it is not set up correctly.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks,
Steve

I was around one rifle that fired when the safety was disengaged (one time). What we found, was the original lubricant on the trigger mechanism was hardened and the trigger was HORRIBLY dirty. 25 seconds with a can of brake cleaner and the problem was resolved. That trigger was 35 years old and had never been cleaned (the stock had never been removed from the rifle).

I have heard this same situation from a couple other guys as well.

HTH,
AJ

So if I sum this up correctly, a Remmy is most popular to build on since it has the most after market parts and a ton of smiths out there who find it easier to work on. If I was to build the ultimate factory PRECISION hunting rig, I would be better served with a different action. Something like a winchester. I even heard that the technique that ruger uses in their action forming may make it stiffer than other brands. This is true only if I am looking for the stiffest action, not going after all the after market bells and whistles that do not necessarily add to accuracy in the rifle itself. Yes it would be cheaper to go remmy, quicker to have the work done, and easier to find someone to do the work, but if I am looking just for the best factory market action remington isn't it.

I would look at Stiller Custom Actions. You can get the Stiller Predator for around $800.00 and it will be better than a trued Remmy and the resale value will be excellent.

100% true--I have 8 of these and the Stiller is a much better product and will hold resale because one will not have to wonder if the smith that did the work knew what he or she was doing!!!

Straitshooter.

If action strength is a concern(And apparently it is to you) then go with a
Custom Action, but if you still want to stay with a factory action then find
a single shot bolt action recever. These are the strongest of all factory actions.

I know Remingtion makes these solid floor actions (No cut out for magazines)
In the 700 series like the 40x . I don't know about the rest .Winchester,Ruger, etc.

I have several rifles built on these and they both shoot less than 1/10'' of an inch
( .053 and .077 5 shot groups ) One is a 30/338 that would have to be loaded one
at a time anyway and is used for 1000 yard slow fire prone (No rest) and has won
several times (Could be more if it had a better shooter than me).

As far as the Ruger ; They are very good actions but are difficult to bed for better
accuracy because of the slanted recoil lug.

Just more info
J E CUSTOM

Dont get too tied up in gear worship. Of much more importance is Who/how you set it up, load etc.

Id much rather have a bone stock ruger with its horrible 900 lb trigger (old style), and impossible bedding arrangement, than try to do without all the proper reloading gear, great scope, etc. As in most things, Balance and practice will get you much further than worrying about minutia.

99% of people will use a stock action with a barrel/caliber combination that will not demand x% extra stiffness anyhow.

Would bedding be an issue with a McMillan stock that was fitted to the action?

It is not the stock thats the problem its the recoil lug angle.

As the rifle heats up strange dynamics take place( movement of the action
is not very predictable). Every one I have owned shot well for the first couple
of shots but then they started changing POI.

A lot of the guys on this site have had the same problem with the rugers
not responding to bedding.

They are very tricky and some shoot well and some dont .

I for one like Rugers but not for an accuracy build because of this problem.

You may luck out and get a good one that responds to a good bedding job.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.