are actions caliber specific?

rocknwell

I'm looking into buying a cheap Rem 700 so i can use it for the action to make a custom build. I'm wanting a .308, and i'm wondering if any Rem 700 action will work (as long as it's short action) or are all actions caliber specific? For example, in order to build a .308 around a 700 action, do i have to have one that was made specifically for .308, or can i take one from, say, a .243?

The best way to go is the action of the appropriate length and boltface. Otherwise you will need to change the boltface and that will cost some extra. So you want a .308 or any other cartridge in that family -- .243, 7mm-08, 260Rem, etc.

You can also use a 700 LA as long as the bolt is in the .30-06 family as this will allow you to seat the bullets long if your using say 200 grain bullets in the VLD type. Some of these will have a hard time fitting a short action due to the over all cartridge length.

You can also use a 700 LA as long as the bolt is in the .30-06 family as this will allow you to seat the bullets long if your using say 200 grain bullets in the VLD type. Some of these will have a hard time fitting a short action due to the over all cartridge length.

+1 on this. I build all my rifles on long 700's for this reason.

If you have chosen your smith that would be a question that he would be able to answer as well as recommendations on a long or short action.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.