Are high powered scopes really necessary for hunting?

For the guys that think this is a silly conversation-get off this thread then, since you already know everything. Some of us actually listen a little instead of just talking all the time. I'm actually interested in what drives other guys decisions and apparently many others are also, because it may help me or save me money down the road. I've read several posts regarding issues I'd not really taken the time to consider, or had experienced situations I haven't been in. This would seem to me to be important information to guys/gals that always want to improve or make better decisions. I'm 57, and it's a fact that since 40 my eyes have been changing. I may need higher mag in the not to distant future. On the other hand, if I can't see the deer at say 800 yards to begin with, then my 4-16x is still good enough-ha! On the other hand if I find I need 25x in 10 years, than it becomes a waste of my money and my decision today cost me three grand I'd rather spend on other things at that point.
What sort of spawned this thread was this: https://youtu.be/rj76nrVnMOU?list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn&t=208
Look at the video time 3:22. I don't know where he got his info and when, but I did find it interesting compared to my own current scope choices(16x is my highest power).
But it did make me wonder-nothing more. Any number of questions could come out of this too like: Are we needlessly throwing money away for scope options we'll never use anyways? Seems like good food for thought to me, and the whole point of these boards. Thanks to you guys for your honest inputs to this thread, by the way. I for one appreciate your thoughts!

Yes, for long range hunting that is not taking place in open terrain, definitely. At 500 yards, in fading light, the difference between a 10x scope and a 25x is undeniable. Why even consider it when the bull or buck of a lifetime steps out in a small opening in the timber at distance and you have to put the bullet through a small gap in the trees. Maybe there is a small branch covering the vitals, with a 10x you'll never know. You'll just come on here and complain about how your bullet didn't perform even though you had a rock solid rest and made a good shot. Do us all a favor, if you're going to shoot animals at long range, get the F-n equipment to do it ethically.

I have to support cavemam0101 here with some observation. 131 yards from my house are some small antlers. Many times and for anyone who came by, I have proven when it's too dark to see the antlers on 8X turning the magnification up to12X and they sre esey to see. When we can't see them on 12X then turn the scope up to 15X and there they are.

I have discovered exit pipil is an internet myth. There are dozens of pages to prove it in the notes. One example is comparing Minox 13X56 binoculars with a Bushnell 4 1/2-30X50 rifle scope. With both on 13X the scope lasted two minutes longer.

While the bulk of my LRH are made at half this distance, my set up and capability is for 1000-1200 yards depending on the game hunted. My preference is for a variable with +50mm objective and power range to at least 20X, and could very likely get by with a 15x on the top end. My scope spends +80% of the time set at 10x, largely for field of view and acquisition requirements in the areas I hunt. Well over half my game is shot between 10 and 15x in the mid range. At the longer ranges I will very frequently use the 20-25X power setting on my scopes for assessing the quality off the game, observing interfering brush/saplings, and checking for other game partially hidden in the foreground/background. Additionally, one of the claimed drawbacks of high power, "mirage", can actually be a very useful tool when determining wind, using the power setting to clearly dial the mirage in. I have encountered all these circumstances enough times over the past several years to easily justify the higher power and the added expense. Scopes have come long way. Superb optical and mechanical performance, quality, and reliability, without trade offs in size and weight are now attainable at the higher powers. Other then cost, I see little/no downside to using a higher power scope.

Just wanted to add something I thought might be of interest. For the past couple of seasons I have been using a power ring lever in my high magnification(20-25x) hunting scopes. Using the lower profile lever designs like the NF and March, it's easy to familiarize yourself with indexing to visually see or feel the power setting. It's useful for making sure you are unknowingly set too high when the power is not required. Additionally, it leverages the often stiff magnification ring for fast and easy game acquisition, and the reading of mirage for wind determination. I think these attributes that have proven to be valuable in LR PRS shoots, I have found equally useful for LR game hunting. While it may not be for everyone, I'd recommend giving it a try if you encounter these conditions.

This is an absolutely incredible thread. I am absolutely loving reading the reply's and seeing everyone's opinion on this! I have always wondered the same thing (what is the most effective and efficient max power) myself. I landed on an NXS 5.5-22x56 and here is why. First off the objective is overkill and a smaller one would work just fine, but I like the bigger one. But how I landed on this power range stemmed from my experiences muzzleloader hunting with a fixed 1x scope. I had a lot of opportunities to look at and take white tailed deer at 100ish yards with this scope and it worked great! However, I always wanted just one extra power. I was completely confident and lethal at 100 with the 1x, but I felt much more precise with how a deer looked at 50 yards through my 1x scope. This lead me to wanting 2x magnification for every 100 yards I am shooting at game. I want the ability to ethically and comfortably take game at 1000 yards with my 300 RUM. Thus, a 20 power would be perfect and it just so happens that the NXS goes to 22 so I get a couple bonus magnifications to take me to 1100 yards. I know this is a unique way of thinking, but it is how I came to my conclusion. However, I do agree that 15x or 16x is plenty to go to 1000 yards! Shoot, I think 10x or 12x is sufficient for the right person! I just wanted a little more.

Here is just one reason to use high mag scopes. Practicing on a 19"x19" gong at 1 Mile (5280) looks fairly small even in a 25x scope, and this is a typical cross canyon encounter for our Rocky Mtn area. A 300 RUM (6-24x) and 260AI (10-40x) were the toys of the day.

Granted, the vast majority of our shots/kills are 1,100yds and below, but if the right conditions and animal presented itself, we like to know we can make the shot. Also, not all hunting is for large elk, for deer, coyotes, pronghorn, marmots and other critters make for more challenging encounters at the half-mile or more mark.

Are high power scopes necessary for hunting?.... Define hunting.

Attachments

• Mile Gong 19x19.jpg
    Mile Gong 19x19.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 246
I never thought I would spend the $ for a really good high power, but that day may come after all.

"Are we needlessly throwing money away for scope options we'll never use anyways?"

I Haven't yet, but I understand there are many who have little use for anything above 9x. Of course, most of us own rifles that will accurately reach FAR beyond our ability to ever maximize the full potential of that weapon, but I do not see anyone trading their 270 or 30-06 for a 44 mag in order to limit or reduce the waste of potential. (All us handgun hunters excluded of course.)

Although, there was this old timer I knew in Cortez, CO who could do wonders with his old worn 44-40.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.