Are 224 Bullets Too small for Deer Sized Game?

Only thing I tried to kill with my 223 and had problems with was a emu! I had a lot of land owners in Oklahoma that let me coyote hunt. I was out making the rounds one day and checked in at one farm I hunted. The owner came out and asked if I had seen any of the emu's someone turned loose. Turns out a emu farm went under and they turned the last dozen out when they didn't want them any more. The farmer said he had one chase his truck when he was checking cows. Said it wouldn't let him out of the truck to throw grain for cows. He knew I probably had my gun and asked if I'd go take care of it for him. I drove out toward the side of property he'd seen this thing last . Didn't take long and I see this giant bird running at me 1/2 mile away. I stop the truck, get out and get my gun on him . At a 100 yards he's still running. Right at me. I put the x on hush chest and let a 50 grain v-max go! Feathers fly, I hear a loud crack he stumbles a bit but keeps running! At me! I crack him again, and again and again , he's down , not dead, but down. Finally got close enough to dispatch the beast but it was a heck of a lot more exciting than I planned. Turns out the chest and legs make up the bulk of these 100 pound attack chickens. Should of used the partitions!

Good thing you don't hunt here.. you'd either never kill a deer, or give up hunting all together. More often that not shots are right at dawn or dusk on a buck chasing a doe. 3 bench's above or below you in the mountain. The last 11 point I killed I got a great look at him... saw it for all of 6 seconds and then he was dead. 100 yards through the mtn brush.
i hunted in the mountains of nw Arkansas for 9 years. I know a little about hunting heavy brush and timbered benches!

Then why weigh in on an op about proper 224 loads for deer? And we are not talking about head shots but proper body shots at reasonable ranges.

Can get back to the original op?
I didn't see anything about shot placement from the op. Just making the point that none of those bullets are unsuitable for proper shot placement from a .22. Doesn't matter which bullet you choose for head shots. Pick the most accurate bullet for whatever range you intend to shoot and shoot them in the head.
I've killed a few with a .22, I just wouldn't do it again unless it was a head shot, in which case the bullet doesn't matter. Nothing but opinions here, same as everyone else, and we all get sleep with our own decisions.
I guess I should be more careful to make sure that my opinion lines up perfectly with everyone else's before I post. That way the op can get the exact same information from everyone and learn exactly nothing.

Dude I was 10 yrs old aiming at the neck nervous, and I dropped a couple inches low. Lighten up.
You got the deer. That is the objective. Apparently most people replying here on this long range hunting forum can't thread a bullet through thick brush to kill a once in a life time buck... seems like these precision shooters would be more... precise? Haha haha

It's funny that there are three pages and not one person has really answered your original question. Haha.

numbers 4&5 seem unsuitable to me but especially number 4. The hollowpoint is just way to large. That bullet is going to blow up quick.

Even the accubond might not do to great if it isn't pushed fast enough.

if I had to choose, I would use #1 or #2. In my mind #1 looks like a core lokt bullet but those actually work pretty decent on deer.

#2 looks like a eldm or amax and those have been used quite a bit on deer. Penetrates enough and shrapnels for a lot of internal damage.

I don't have a clue what number 6 is but it looks like it would be pretty decent in deer. But I can't really judge on that one.

Adam32 seems to be doing quite well with his choice.

The question has never been about "best choice", but is a properly loaded 224 caliber adequate for deer and similar sized game at reasonable ranges? I am in agreement with you, for I have taken far too many deer and other to know. If someone thinks the above 224 bullets are inadequate under the limitations, please explain why and per bullet.
You framed the question to make my answer "yes they are adequate " but so is the 22 long rifle! The Reverend HR Caldwell killed Tigers with his 22 Hi Power so I know you can kill a deer with 22 centerfires .
I have a question to ask , If you were going on the hunt of a lifetime for whitetail deer would a 22 centerfire be the rifle you chose for the trip?

A lot of discussion about 224 bullets being to small, too low penetration, too explosive, etc for varied deer sized game at "reasonable distances", so of the below bullets, which is unsuitable for deer and similar sized game and why?View attachment 166189
None of them , To many variables in the field for me to recommend a 22 centerfire as suitable. That's my opinion for me , the rest of you are entitled to use whatever is legal for you to hunt with in you state .

I use 50g blitzKing with my 220 swift. It's a tack driver bullet in that gun and I've never had a deer escape it's wrath. I imagine, accubonds, Barnes and the likes would all be good with proper shot placement.

Thats what I have used in the past with great success. All shots within 100 yards, through the shoulders because I ain't no "Armiii snapper" takin head shotz on deer.

Carrying a .224 to hunt TROPHY white tails that routinely rip the scale at 160-200lbs, I would say you are under gunned. The whole shot placement is key this is a load of crap. The fellas that have the luxury to only take broadside perfect shots must have it made. 75% of the areas I hunt youre shooting a max of 100 yards through the mountain brush.

I would not trust any of those bullets to be threaded through dense brush into a hard quartering away 140" white tail.

If you're shooting a 130 pound doe in a field and going for meat then yeah. Shoot the Accubond or ELD or A Tip and go for a double lung shot. Those rounds will kill the biggest of deer. Under ideal conditions. But around here in trophy deer, ideal conditions don't happen a lot. I carry a 270 with 140 accubond in the mentioned areas

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.