"AR" Definition

Passing vote on "AR" Firearms and High Cap Mags in the Congress today. Still has to go to the Senate.

What is the definition of an "AR"?

I always thought it was "ArmaLite Rifle".

Will the sale price of High Cap Mags go up?

Will the sale price of an "AR" style firearm go up or down depending on the "Definition" of what the proposed law is?

Could a Ruger 10/22 be considered an "AR" since it is a Semi Automatic?
I started this Post due to the confusion on the Governments' part to correctly identify the AR Firearm and what politicians THINK "AR" stands for a the proposed upcoming "BAN" on all AR style firearms.
INGORANCE IS DANGEROUS!
The truest definition that I have found is:
"
In reality, AR stands for ArmaLite rifle. ArmaLite is the company that originated the design for the AR style of rifle back in the 1950s.

And while we're decoding ARs, the number simply refers to the model number of the rifle, not to a barrel length, capacity, or anything else."

The first widely produced AR rifle was the AR-5, a .22 Hornet survival rifle "BOLT ACTION". It was adopted by the US Air Force as the MA-1 Survival Rifle. Shortly after, the AR-7, the semi-automatic civilian version of the AR-5, was released, chambered for .22 LR.

This Post has hit a nerve with a lot of members and kind of got sidetracked from the original question. BUT I think that it is good for all of us to have open minds and the intelligence to see what the DEFINITION or an "AR" means to certain politicians and news media. Also what their real motive is on gun control by limiting certain firearms, magazines, age of purchase and Background checks.

Here is an excerpt from my very short letter to my two Democratic congressmen. I know the only thing that will change their mind is to be voted out of office.

"You know all the pros and cons so I will not rehash. I ask that you protect my rights as an AR 15 and AR 15 hi cap mag owner. Go to the real heart of the matter. Family, faith, respect for authority, discipline as necessary, all these things contribute to stable citizens and help resolve mental health issues."

Very appropriately stated. The gun violence is directly related to moral decline.

I started this Post due to the confusion on the Governments' part to correctly identify the AR Firearm and what politicians THINK "AR" stands for a the proposed upcoming "BAN" on all AR style firearms.
INGORANCE IS DANGEROUS!
The truest definition that I have found is:
"
In reality, AR stands for ArmaLite rifle. ArmaLite is the company that originated the design for the AR style of rifle back in the 1950s.

And while we're decoding ARs, the number simply refers to the model number of the rifle, not to a barrel length, capacity, or anything else."

The first widely produced AR rifle was the AR-5, a .22 Hornet survival rifle "BOLT ACTION". It was adopted by the US Air Force as the MA-1 Survival Rifle. Shortly after, the AR-7, the semi-automatic civilian version of the AR-5, was released, chambered for .22 LR.

This Post has hit a nerve with a lot of members and kind of got sidetracked from the original question. BUT I think that it is good for all of us to have open minds and the intelligence to see what the DEFINITION or an "AR" means to certain politicians and news media. Also what their real motive is on gun control by limiting certain firearms, magazines, age of purchase and Background checks.
True and I'm guilty of helping sidetrack.

But it is important. The average voter from either party who isn't necessarily a gun hater but has no knowledge, does not need to be misled.
The media and the antis will continue to use the term "assault rifle" as it indicates violence, military, police, and the like. It's used to bring fear to the non Informed public.

As a hunter education instructor, I always down play the term to my students and only if they bring it up. I support new terminology such as MSR.

Verbiage and language in Bills that can become law can and will have lasting impacts on our rights.

Every gun owner needs to do all they can to make sure the citizens are getting correct, factual information.

The times we live in are difficult enough. Freedom as we know can be taken away. Non of us want that. I feel properly educating those who are on the the fence, is crucial to our rights not being removed or altered. And for this to happen, we need to be aligned ourselves.

Fixed top loading 5 round mags in an AR circumvents that language. CA has been dealing with inventive work-around solutions to stoopid laws like this for years.

Adjustable gas block with the gas tube removed….and wallaa…. no more semi-automatic!

Yeah, I know…pretty stooopid solutions to egregious intrusion into our Civil Rights, but freedom always finds a way. In the end, we can 3D print our way around about any gun law they come up with.

I agree, but you need a way to tie that specifically to the last 4-10 of these cases…and then you need a plan of attack.

With regard to the mass shootings - it has been noted that a common thread is that most of the perpetrators were not raised with (or still have) a farther figure to help them continue on in a healthy direction. Young boys and adolescents that are moving off the rails should be easily identified by an engaged father. Parenting matters and a working mother can't do it all in the absence of a strong male figure.

With regard to the mass killings that occur every week in our urban areas (but don't get any attention from the mass media) - ready access to illegal handguns by career criminals who freely walk our streets is one of the biggest problems. It appears to be as easy to buy illegal handguns as it is to buy illegal narcotics. "Stop & Frisk" was deemed discriminatory by some judge so the most effective tool NYC had for removing illegal guns, in crime plagued areas, was taken away.

With regard to the mass shootings - it has been noted that a common thread is that most of the perpetrators were not raised with (or still have) a farther figure to help them continue on in a healthy direction. Young boys and adolescents that are moving off the rails should be easily identified by an engaged father. Parenting matters and a working mother can't do it all in the absence of a strong male figure.
So, what policy would you employ to stop that?

With regard to the mass killings that occur every week in our urban areas (but don't get any attention from the mass media) - ready access to illegal handguns by career criminals who freely walk our streets is one of the biggest problems. It appears to be as easy to buy illegal handguns as it is to buy illegal narcotics. "Stop & Frisk" was deemed discriminatory by some judge so the most effective tool NYC had for removing illegal guns, in crime plagued areas, was taken away.
Off the subject of the "AR "definition, but this topic has brought up a lot of interesting posts about where "Gun Control" and "CAUSES" of what is really happening and where the control should be placed-NOT ON GUNS or More Gun LAWS. Society and moral & mental health.
Varmint Hunter is spot on. It has been proven in many studies that the "Break Down of Family Fabric" causes the lack of moral character. A lot of this problem is caused by our GOVERMENT and Politicians with all the "Welfare" type programs that prevent single mothers from having a "MALE FATHER FIGURE" in the home. If there is a Male living in the home the Welfare funds are cut or stopped. This promotes 'Not being Married". This is not to say that all problems are caused by only having a single parent. There are many single mothers/fathers out there that do a fantastic job of raising their children.
The other subject about guns on the street and the "Stop & Frisk". Well just look at how this program worked in NYC when Giuliani was Mayor! We already have the strictest Gun Laws in some cities and that is where the most crime is. Laws are not enforced-criminals are set free or lenient charges.

Off the subject of the "AR "definition, but this topic has brought up a lot of interesting posts about where "Gun Control" and "CAUSES" of what is really happening and where the control should be placed-NOT ON GUNS or More Gun LAWS. Society and moral & mental health.
Varmint Hunter is spot on. It has been proven in many studies that the "Break Down of Family Fabric" causes the lack of moral character. A lot of this problem is caused by our GOVERMENT and Politicians with all the "Welfare" type programs that prevent single mothers from having a "MALE FATHER FIGURE" in the home. If there is a Male living in the home the Welfare funds are cut or stopped. This promotes 'Not being Married". This is not to say that all problems are caused by only having a single parent. There are many single mothers/fathers out there that do a fantastic job of raising their children.
The other subject about guns on the street and the "Stop & Frisk". Well just look at how this program worked in NYC when Giuliani was Mayor! We already have the strictest Gun Laws in some cities and that is where the most crime is. Laws are not enforced-criminals are set free or lenient charges.
AR- stands for Armalite Rifle, only the un-initiated are unaware & those who purposefully spread
mis-information say that it stands for Assault Rifle only want to strip law abiding citizens their rights & infringe further.
The wolf in sheep clothing "Save our kids act" , which does nothing to actually save our kids, has passed the House & is gaining traction in the Senate. They have the votes.
People think red flag laws are only for the Mentality Ill, or possible suicides......its only a matter of time till they are used for political purposes. If someone is offended or twists your words, watch out......they will make an example out of you.....
How much of the time are weapons returned, & how long does that take.....very little & forever ill bet.
The proposed expanded background check would have done nothing to stop these latest mass shootings & 100% of the blame should lie at the shooters feet. Period.
This is the beginning of the slippery slope.....& its not going to stop anytime soon.....just look what is happening in Canada.
I would normally say call your senators, or congressmen, but they have their own agenda.
We can only hope the Supreme Court has better sense.