"AR" Definition

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Passing vote on "AR" Firearms and High Cap Mags in the Congress today. Still has to go to the Senate.

What is the definition of an "AR"?

I always thought it was "ArmaLite Rifle".

Will the sale price of High Cap Mags go up?

Will the sale price of an "AR" style firearm go up or down depending on the "Definition" of what the proposed law is?

Could a Ruger 10/22 be considered an "AR" since it is a Semi Automatic?

I'm a little curious about the 10-22 myself. If they include all semi auto firearms, that would be a pretty big net to cast.

AR does stand for Armalite Rifle. Since the only part on any of mine that is Armalite is a charging handle, I guess mine is almost not an AR at all. Sadly we will not see what they vote on until it's over. This bill has not passed the Senate yet, contact your senators. I have already e-mailed mine.

Passing vote on "AR" Firearms and High Cap Mags in the Congress today. Still has to go to the Senate.

What is the definition of an "AR"?

I always thought it was "ArmaLite Rifle".

Will the sale price of High Cap Mags go up?

Will the sale price of an "AR" style firearm go up or down depending on the "Definition" of what the proposed law is?

Could a Ruger 10/22 be considered an "AR" since it is a Semi Automatic?
"(B) any semiautomatic centerfire rifle or semiautomatic centerfire shotgun that has, or has the capacity to accept, an ammunition feeding device with a capacity exceeding 5 rounds, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe has not attained 21 years of age and is not a qualified individual; or

That is from the bill….

That is a pretty broad stroke of the pen.

This bill has not passed the Senate yet, contact your senators. I have already e-mailed mine.
This cannot be said enough. Remember, they don't really care why, just that you are watching and requesting support.

i usually state my request for support or opposition in paragraph 1, state the outcome I object to shortly in paragraph 2, then remind them that I watch the vote and use that information to make my party and candidate votes on Election Day.

This is not a Democrat vs Republican issue. @Rep Anthony Gonzales (OH) is a Republican and voted for all of this. There is a long list of these votes….check out the bill at

See how your reps voted on it:

If passed, old tube fed .22's in many closets across our country will have a revival - just be sure the bullet end of the round is pointed the correct way.

If passed, old tube fed .22's in many closets across our country will have a revival - just be sure the bullet end of the round is pointed the correct way.
Why will that revive them. They will fall under the age increase. Won't need a second serial number though.

Let me just start by saying that I am a Benefactor member of the NRA and have been for many years, decades actually.

With that being said, I don't think our conservative elected officials can continue to block every single new proposed gun law in the face of the significant number of civilian deaths due to gun violence. The recent mass shootings have gotten all the headlines lately, but street thugs are killing people at an unprecedented rate.

Citizens (voters) are charged up right now and want SOMETHING done. Any official who refuses to do ANYTHING to help alleviate the number of tragic gun deaths in the country probably won't hold office too long. Should the political numbers tilt any farther left, the shooting sports will be decimated by the liberals.

I don't know the answer to the gun violence problem in this country but it's in all of our interest to get a handle on this before things get any worse.

Let me just start by saying that I am a Benefactor member of the NRA and have been for many years, decades actually.

With that being said, I don't think our conservative elected officials can continue to block every single new proposed gun law in the face of the significant number of civilian deaths due to gun violence. The recent mass shootings have gotten all the headlines lately, but street thugs are killing people at an unprecedented rate.

Citizens (voters) are charged up right now and want SOMETHING done. Any official who refuses to do ANYTHING to help alleviate the number of tragic gun deaths in the country probably won't hold office too long. Should the political numbers tilt any farther left, the shooting sports will be decimated by the liberals.

I don't know the answer to the gun violence problem in this country but it's in all of our interest to get a handle on this before things get any worse.
I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree. I completely understand where you are coming from. Back in the 80's I had the same opinion. So did the NRA and they largely stopped being as active in California. So much so I stopped being a member because I felt like they abandoned California. And that lead to the first "Assault Weapons ban" that I experienced in 1994. The answer has always been the same. Enforce existing laws and stop lessening the punishment. Recently the teenager that ran over the mother pushing her infant in her stroller was given another light sentence. That teenager was on probation. Gascon let the teenager off. with a stay at a camp. I've personally seen it in my community. Young adults that had multiple burglary charges which also included theft of firearms and illegal possession of firearms. They were given probation, no prison time. I believe that is the type of sentencing Cody was talking about.

Last edited:
Those so called "Assault Weapons" continued to be sold in a different configuration. "High capacity magazines" were grandfathered in. So they can claim that the Assault Weapons bans decreased crime, but the number of weapons out there remained the same.