ar 15 barrel ideas.

Timmyatneb

Hi. Iam wanting to build an ar upper for calling in coyotes. I have a couple longrange bolt guns but wanna do somthing different. Cant decide on what barrel to buy. My longrange gut says buy 20 in noveske or kreiger . Wanna make it easier to carry in but still wanna strech it out to 600 yards if i can. Want a 1-8 twist to shoot 77 grain smks . What are your guys best ideas.

I would look at the Palmetto state armory barrels. I have had fantastic luck with them being very accurate. Even to the point I get disappointed in some of my high dollar one. I shoot almost 1000 rounds a week when I'm home and have not had any issues thus far. As far as length of you want to go to 600 I would do 20 inch. Nice balance with the 20 between vol and handling.

Also depends where you live and how far you have to walk. I swapped out my 20" bull barrel for a 16" light weight barrel. Stuff gets heavy fast in knee high snow.

You might consider the best of both worlds. 18" SOCOM with mid length gas system.

SOCOM profile should NOT look like an M4 profile that some are selling. Diameter in between and M4 and HBAR profile. Some call it a Fat M4 profile or a SkinnyH.

Iam thinking i might spend the money on a 223 match barrel. As i will just shoot my 223 reloads only. I think The shorter throat will proubly be more accurate.

Iam thinking i might spend the money on a 223 match barrel. As i will just shoot my 223 reloads only. I think The shorter throat will proubly be more accurate.

Have the chamber or reamer specs on a "match barrel"?

Trade off between a short throat and case capacity for the "heavy for caliber" 223 boooolits.

Think iam gonna order a mediun 20 inch wyde chamber . And buy 1500 once fired lc brass. Does that sound good?

I just built a couple ar barrels on green mountain blanks. After contouring them I hand lapped the bores, chambered /threaded and drilled the ports. Both of those barrels shoot sub 1/2 MOA. One five shot group at 250 was .9" outside to outside. Even before lapping those barrels were much smoother than a few Douglas barrels I've worked on lately, and they shoot just as well as an expensive custom.

Hi,

I have a similar project in mind for a 223/5.56 upper to go with the 6.8 SPC I usually hunt with. I'm planning to use the ARP 20" midweight barrel, link follows. I've used two of the ARP 6.8 SPC barrels on builds with great success, so although I may have to wait for them to be in stock, think I'll use the ARP.

Regards,
Trapper458

Last edited by a moderator:
Midway has some Stoner 20-24" bull Barrels SS that I purchased and was amazed. The 24 used on my Varmint is super accurate with 1-8 twist using anything from 55-77 gr. Barrel was 229$

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.