APS XP-100 barks again!

Dan B

This dang APS built XP-100 7mm/270WSM just wants to kill stuff. Everytime I take it too the strip cut it just begs to let loose a bullet! I was in my little hidey hole today...just like last week...not long before lunch, munchin' an apple, fire kickin' to keep me company (and the fact that it was 6* when I set up made greatly welcome) but this time I had a hunting buddy walking the other hillside looking for deer. He likes to push'em and I like to shoot so we work well together. I was content to make sure the fire stayed lit!

He just hit the upper end of the cut when he called and said he was coming back my direction...then he said "deer", hangs up and then I hear "boom....boom". Back on the phone and says he missed. While he was dogging around I watched about 15 different deer sneak all around him including a little buck that gave several shot opportunities around 430yds. I let him walk. Just as Rick called back to report the misses, a doe and the little buck coming running across the cut in my direction and into the creek bottom (only about 50yds wide). I turn the scope to 5X as the shots would likely be less than 150yds. A few seconds later he pops up on my side of the creek bank and presents a broadside 150yd shot. After a brief (and I mean BRIEF) look to make sure he met the "3pts per side rule" in my area of PA, I let the 162gr A-Max fly. That dumped him instantly. This was the closest deer I ever shot with this gun...the exit hole was a sweet 2" circle and had nearly half the right side lung hanging out!

Nice bodied deer, not much on antlers but he met the requirements and is now in the freezer...well...'cept for the big batch of jerky in the oven! So I'm all tagged out this year. Going to be dogging for Rick and Pap tomorrow and with Coyotes legal to shoot I'll still carry a Ruger Blackhawk for company!

100_1831.jpg

Well Dan, where did your smile go? Those short shots to easy for you? Glad to hear the performance of the A-Max close up. We all need a friend like your buddy:D
Are you done for the year now?

I am smiling in the other pic of took but this one was posed nicer. My pic taker (Cindy) was not home so Rick took the pic. This is also a sad day since my deer season is over. Was supposed to be walking for Pap and Rick but Pap got sick last night and storm set in so Rick wanted to still hunt again. Which means my second batch of jerky will be hitting the oven soon and I'll fire up the canner to process the rest of this deer meat.

Well, since you put it that way, I guess I will stop picking on ya;)
You need to make it out my way for some LR PD'ing in the future. Get several of Kirby's creations and just see how far we can push them.

Congrats my friend, close range shots with XPs can often be more difficult them longer range shots.

You have really done well with your XP.

Happy to hear all of your success!!

Kirby Allen(50)

This is also a sad day since my deer season is over.

No, no, no!

There are two seasons in a man's life. "Hunting season" and "getting ready for hunting season".

So no need to be sad, just move on to "getting ready for hunting season", dreaming of the that new toy you need desperately before next "hunting season".

So no need to be sad, just move on to "getting ready for hunting season", dreaming of the that new toy you need desperately before next "hunting season".

Dont worry Len. I'm working toward easing the greaving process. Just ordered a Model 7 in 7mm SAUM (blue and lam). It's not a long range Handgun but sure will be neat to play with. It will be a nice match to my daughters Model 7 in 7mm-08.

I have a 7 in 7-08 that my daughter used the one year she hunted...and shot a buck.

way to go Dan!!!! you need try that LRP on some antelope next fall???
again congrats on a great season
nmhunter

I have a 7 in 7-08 that my daughter used the one year she hunted...and shot a buck.

My daughter is four...after I told her that the 7 was hers, she proceeded to claim my XP-100 .222 "cuz it has the pretty yellow stock", a NEF Hornet "cuz the yellow and black will match the other yellow gun" (the NEF does have a goofy yellow/black lam stock) and a couple stainless Contenders "cuz they are shiny".

That just looks plain ole yummy...that is one short rig.. gotta make the humpn easier...and I can see how a close, quick shot could be very difficult..Good shot and good eatin..Regards

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.