Another evening out for the APS XP-100

Dan B

The main reason for shooting was to do load work on a Weatherby Mk5 (338-378 Mag) but cannot seem to leave home without the APS XP-100 7mm-270WSM. BTW...the Weatherby is NOT my gun! When I first arrived at the range I spotted two varmints that looked to be up to no good!! They ranged at 233yds and 390yds. I first lined up the close hog with a center body hold (the gun is zeroed at 250yds) and dispatched him w/ a 162gr A-Max through the shoulders. The other hog stayed still so I reloaded and placed the second plex (zeroed at 406yds) a little below mid-body and let one fly...he simply folded.

While posting targets I did a body check...the close hog had a 2" exit and the other had a 4" exit!! These 162gr A-Max's have so far performed amazingly well on four g-hogs and four deer from 177yds to nearly 400yds. I think they are my "go to" deer and varmint bullet. I'll be test shooting some 160gr Nosler AB's for elk though.

While taking breaks to let the big Weatherby cool down I was also shooting a steel plate at 400yds w/ the XP-100. The first round impacted the very edge of the 10" plate at about 2 o'clock and the next round just missed off the same side. So I took a few clicks out for windage and elevation then fired a three shot group that measured exactly 1" across!! After shooting the Mk5 for three more shots I went back to the XP and 400yd plate. The first group was still about 2" high and 2" right. So I took a few more clicks out and fired another three shot group. This one was also...exactly 1" across!! That's two groups at 400yds that were .25 MOA! This gun is awesome!!

BTW...if anyone has some load tips for the 338-378...I'll take what I can get...it shot lousy.

I'm getting excellent 338-378 accuracy with Barnes 225 TSX and 115 grains of RL-25. We are using CCI-250 primers. 3 shots cutting each other. Velocity is averaging 3350 at 70 degrees. I have 3 other Accumarks and I wish this one was mine too. All 4 are tight shooters. Next time try that 338-378 on the hogs. It will put some airtime on them. Way more fun with a big enough gun!

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like the XP is being a good girl for you!!

On the Wby, what model is it and is the stock bedded?

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good girl? She's performing wonderful!

On the Wby...it's a Mk5. The bedding appears to be sound. It's a friends gun and he mounted the scope/base/rings. I'm gonna take them apart and remount then see what happens.

Check the receiver screws as well, I just bedded a new Accumark and when I removed the receiver screws it took everything I had to break them loose. Do not overtighten them, 45 to 55 in/lbs is plenty. I think someone at Wby is getting in/lbs and ft/lbs confused!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.