APS 338 ALLEN MAG-Project officially started

wildcat

The cash has been sent to Kirby, and I will soon be the proud owner of an APS rifles. I already posted the specs before, but there have been some changes. Once again, for those who missed the specs, here they are;

1. 338 Allen Mag

2. Action-Lawton M8000 10" Action

3. Barrel-Lawton 32", 1-10 twist, 1.400 tapered to 1.250.

4. McMillan A-5, Thumbwhell cheek piece, 3 Way Space System, 1 stud front, 1 stud rear, 5 pounds weight added to rear, Color Woodland Camo pattern

5. APS 3 port Muzzle Brake

5. Jewel 2oz trigger

7. Badger base w/40 MOA

8. Badger 30mm rings

9. Badger Tactical Bolt Knob

10. Nightforce 5.5x22x56mm NXS

11. All metal will be Teflon coated Matte Black

12. Overall weight will be around 25 pounds, heavy, but still portable to move around and hunt.

Ok guys what do you think. As soon as she completed, I am sure Kirby will post pics before I can. Hopfully in April 07 I will be out testing the awesome 338 Allen Mag.

Everything sounds great, except for being 25lbs!!! Theres no way I can imagine packing a 25lb gun up and down the elk canyons I hunt. I would sling that over my shoulder, and it would roll my *** down the canyon. Ha ha ha. Sounds great, should be a heck of a shooter.

Shawn, I am sure it will probably be coated by you, I think. I thought I read a post that said Kirby sends his guns to be coated by you. If that's true be nice to her.

Wildcat

Jeff, two studs will make it a little harder to shoot on a rest. However, thanks for the recommendation, I will probably go with two in the front anyway.

Wildcat

Wildcat:

What about a stud out front for the bipod and then a flush mount cup up front and another flush mount cup in the rear. That's what I did with my A5 and when the sling is off there's plenty of fore end behind the stud to ride the front rest without interference and the rear is flush also. No interference front or rear but the sling is easily put on.

If you do this just make sure the measurements for all locations are verified with McMillan. The last two they did for me were done wrong and rather than send it back and wait, maybe another 6 months, I just added another flush mount cup far enough back from the stud to allow me to use a sling and not interfere with the PodLoc.

25-06, I wanted it to be some what heavy, but still be able to move it around. I did not want it to be a 50 or 70 pound bench rifle. My other rifles weigh from 17 to 20 pounds and they aren't that bad when carrying. This rifle will be mostly used for long range varminting and target shooting. I might use it one day for an elk hunt. However, I am with you, it probably want be to fun to pack. I am hoping with the extra weight, and Kirby's APS 3 PORT brake, the recoil wont be that bad, LOL!!!! I am really looking forward to shooting this rifle. The 338 Allen Mag is one serious caliber.

Wildcat

ss7mm, I took your recommendations and informed Kirby to make the changes on the stock. I went with 1 stud in front and put the flush mount cup behind the stud, I also changed the stud in the rear to the flush mount cup. Thanks for the info!

Wildcat

Well, Kirby received the $$ yesterday, so I am offically going to be the proud owner of an APS rifle. I only made 2 minor changes to the ogrinal specs,

1. I took the advice from ss7mm and went with 1 Bi-pod stud in front followed by a Flush Mount cup, and I went with a Flush Mount cup in the rear. ss7mm, Thank you for the recommendation!

2. The only other change was the contour of the Barrel, it will be 1.350 tapered to 1.250.

Once again, Kirby's customer service has been outstanding. Thanks, Kirby!!

Wildcat

I am sure you will be happy with your APS product, Kirby does a hell of a job.

Shoot me a email when you start necking down the TTI brass to .338, always good to share info. I have a finished 338AM round setting on my desk at work and you should see the heads she turns, everybody thinks it is a 50BMG round!!!

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.