Update-on-338-Yogi-Project

wildcat

I-was-informed-today-that-my-338-Yogi-is-almost-completed-all-that-has-to-be-done-is-put-the-barreled-action-in-the-stock-and-get-the-special-case-ordered-for-it.-Here-are-the-specs-if-you-missed-them;

1.-338-Yogi-(Tight-Neck-338-Lupa-Magnum-Improved)
2.-BAT-10"-2"Diameter-Action
3.-Lilja-36"-1-10-twist-1.750-straight-taper
4.-McMillan-50HBR-stock-with-weight-added-Color-Green&Black-marble
5.-Tooley-Muzzle-Brake
6.-Jewel-2oz-trigger
7.-Davidson-Base-with-20MOA-Added
8.-Kelby-30mm-Rings
9.-Nightforce-12x42x56mm-NXS-with-Double-Dot-reticle
10.-Weight-should-be-right-around-65-pounds

I-should-be-able-to-get-3050fps-to-3100fps-with-the-300grn-MK-out-of-the-36"-pipe.

I-will-post-pics-as-soon-as-I-receive-her.

Wildcat

Sorry-guys-my-Space-bar-is-broken-My-wife-spilled-water-on-the-key-board /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif-it-will-be-going-out-for-repair-soon.

Wildcat

wildcat,
I hope you are not too mad at me, because I do like to tease you from time to time.sorry
One question I have about your Yogi project is what are you going to do with your M.O.A. , 20 moa wont be enough for the range you will want to shoot. mabey an Ivey 100 moa base ?????
you have to admit "hyphen king" is a nice moniker.
UB

I am considering the Yogi in place of my warbird. What velocities should I expect with 300grs through a 27" barrel?
Also, who has dies available?
thanks,

A Yogi doesn't seem all that much different than a RUM and definitely no more than an Edge. What's the intrigue about it??

Also nothing negative meant re: the Yogi, just askin' .

Roy,

My 338 Allen Xpress is very similiar and driving the 265 gr AT RBBT to 2960 fps is pretty easy to do. In fact breaking 3000 fps is very practical with upper end loads. I have not tested the 300 gr SMK yet in my 338 AX but in testing that bullet in my 338 Allen Magnum compared to the 265 gr AT RBBT, the lighter bullet gets around 120 fps more velocity at upper end pressures. If that holds true for my 338 AX I would be getting around 2850 to 2875 fps with the 300 gr SMK in my 27" barrel.

The standard 338 Lapua and Edge will not get that velocity in a 27" barrel. STandard performance with the Lapua and Edge in a 30" barrel will be 2850 fps give or take a bit, the improved version of the Lapua in either the Yogi or my Allen Xpress will get you another 100 fps at least for same bullet weights in same barrel lengths.

Is that worth dealing with fireforming, thats up to the owner of the rifle. For a big game rifle I think its well worth it. For a higher volume shooter, maybe not.

Just remember that this class of round will get you the same performance as the Lapua and Edge but with a barrel that can be 3 to 4" shorter in length if you want.

Kirby Allen(50)

the Yogi or any 338 Lapua AI, when pushed will do 3100 out of a 30" barrrel with 300 SMKs normally and brass lasts forever doing it. that is a huge difference. Most of the Edge guys I have seen shoot 2-4x with the brass and throw away as the primer pockets are gone.

I do not have the Edge, but I do not think it will do that and the brass definitely will not take that pressure over 1-2x. Maybe the Edge will, I am sure that the Edge owners will speak up.

I had the straight 338 Lapua AI and I have chrono'd it at 3150 with a 32" barrel.

Goes back to the three basics IMO, bullets, barrels and BRASS. Lapua brass will go forever. Tom Sarver recently broke the LG world record (1.403", 50 score and 5X at 1k) with shortened 338 lapua brass that had been shot 58 times. He is over 80 firings on the same brass now. IMO that makes the lapua brass much less expensive that the Rum derivatives.

BH

BountyHunter,

You have stated before about the huge number of firings on those cases. Everytime I read them I start to think about how he is doing this. The reason is because I use the Lapua case on many of my wildcat rounds and when loaded to upper end pressures, you will get 8 to 10 firings on each case.

After that, you will start to run into extraction issues because the brass heat tempers just ahead of the solid case head and simply will not size down enough to allow easy extraction.

Primer pockets last forever, I agree, never loosened a primer pocket on a Lapua case and I have run them very hard in testing my Allen Magnums and Allen Xpress rounds but I have always ran into the same extraction issues after 8 to 10 firings.

Not saying he is not getting this number of firings on each case, just curious how he is doing it without having the same issue with extraction from the case heat tempering and not sizing down properly.

Unless he is loading them to very mild pressures but even then I would expect that over 20 firings the same issue would show up.

Just curious, that is simply amazing results that I have heard repeated over and over. How much body taper does he run on his cases and also what diameter of chamber does he use at the head if you know that information would be very interesting?

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby

Not sure, but I have personnally seen him the last several years since he built that thing use the same cases. Tom Sarver anneals every time and is anal about the case prep and powder. He runs the 240s around 2950 fps.

You can email him at the Ohio 1000 Yard BR club thunder Valley, and get his specs IF he will give them out. He is in negotiations to sell the rights to this cartridge. At the Nationals he said that Hornady was talking to him and the russian guy that just bought all of Clay Spencers barrel making equip is offering money.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.