Anything Wrong with the Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock?

scsims

I can't find a lot of information on the Choate Ultimate Sniper stock and was wondering if the reason why is because it's not a good bedding system for a rifle or if it's just the design that put people off.

I have one with a stock Rem 700 SPS Varmint skim bedded in it and I like it alot. I love the pistol grip handle and the side mounted sling studs. Only thing I modified was I took some fine grit sand paper and sanded the checkering on the pistol grip and forearm to make them not as sharp.

I'm thinking of putting together a semi custom build and even though I like this stock I'm thinking of going in another direction if these aren't quality stocks.

There are two things wrong with them: 1- they're darn heavy! 2- they're darn ugly! :D

Other than that, they are quite robust & have provided good accuracy to not only myself (ultimate varminter) but a couple buddies as well.

The new Tactical Choate isn't nearly as ugly, if I were doing an Uber budget build, this is the stock I would use.

As stated above. The USS is a very heavy stock, but it's intended to be.

The Varmint model is considerably lighter.

They are tough as it comes, plain, simple, and the guys I know that have them have no complaints. There was one guy that got a dud that just wouldn't bed properly and they replaced it for him.

Sniper stock is 7lbs.............varminter stock is considerably lighter, tactical model is lighter still. The tactical model has some amazing qualities for any price range but for $200 it's a steal. I use there tactical model exclusively now.

I had an ultimate sniper and it was a good stock. The reason I sold it is because the pistol grip is wayyyy toooo thick. I just couldn't get a decent hold on the pistol grip. That and the checkering on the the stock is really really rougn and will take skin off if you aren't careful.

Other than that, it's a good stock for what it is and got a great price.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.