Anyone use the new Sierra pointed MKs on game?

iowacity

Has anyone tried the factory pointed SMKs on game yet? The 95smk looks impressive from a ballistics standpoint in a 22 creed. I'm toying with the idea of using for an antelope round.

Not yet, but I'm working with the 230gr MK in a 300 Norma Mag Improved. Sierra states they are not good for hunting, but I may try one on deer. Normally I use Berger bullets for hunting and they have never let me down.

If they are anything like the pointed nosler RDF I wouldn't even try to use them on big game. We have shot many small game critters with the RDF - all but one penciled right through.

maybe check out the tipped matchking?

I don't know if it would be detrimental to BC, but maybe take a slightly oversize drill bit and make the hollow point larger if you insist on hunting with it? just a thought.

I've looked at the ELD and TMK, but I have concerns they may blow up on a shoulder. If anyone has experience with these rounds and deer/antelope sized game I'd like to hear those experiences as well.

Yep, I've had the ELDM blow up and not penetrate the thick leg bone on a large mule deer buck.

These were 140's only going a measly 2725 FPS at the muzzle.

@ 22 creedmoor speeds I would be looking for a tougher constructed bullet myself-yes you sacrifice extended range but bullet performance will be more predictable.

Thanks, which leads me back to the 95 smk. If all else fails, I've got the 90gr Berger I can use also.

I think Black Hills started using SMK's in their .338 Lapua ammo. Not sure I would want to hunt with it as I don't think it was designed for it. I did reload some SGK's in my Lapua and killed a few hogs this winter. I didn't really notice much damage unless I caught bone. A big hog is pretty tough and I expected a little more expansion. Some kills were .33 cal. in and out. Not sure what the SMK's would have done.
Be interesting to hear some experiences.
VC

I've looked at the ELD and TMK, but I have concerns they may blow up on a shoulder. If anyone has experience with these rounds and deer/antelope sized game I'd like to hear those experiences as well.
On deer and bear the 140 eld at 2800ish fps is deadly. Use with confidence. We've been using that and the amax for years

If they are anything like the pointed nosler RDF I wouldn't even try to use them on big game. We have shot many small game critters with the RDF - all but one penciled right through.

maybe check out the tipped matchking?

I don't know if it would be detrimental to BC, but maybe take a slightly oversize drill bit and make the hollow point larger if you insist on hunting with it? just a thought.
Sierra makes a Tipped GAME KING , a better choice.

Magman, what's the performance like on Deer. Do the SMKs behave like a Berger bullet, or do they hold together more?

Why do people insist on using a target/match bullet on game? If you are working up a hunting load, start with a hunting bullet. If you want an accuracy load, start with a target/match bullet. If you get pinhole groups with that target load don't try to change the fact that all the factory research is foolish. I see that a lot of people on here get results with target/match bullets on game. I just wish the poor results would get posted too. Any bullet on a broadside 150 pound deer through the heart will work. That just doesn't happen all the time. If you look up the gel test of the 6.5 CM posted on here you will see the total fragmentation of the eld-m. And then that guy should be shamed for saying it would be suitable for a 900 yard mule deer load. Internet idiocy.

Why do people insist on using a target/match bullet on game? If you are working up a hunting load, start with a hunting bullet. If you want an accuracy load, start with a target/match bullet. If you get pinhole groups with that target load don't try to change the fact that all the factory research is foolish. I see that a lot of people on here get results with target/match bullets on game. I just wish the poor results would get posted too. Any bullet on a broadside 150 pound deer through the heart will work. That just doesn't happen all the time. If you look up the gel test of the 6.5 CM posted on here you will see the total fragmentation of the eld-m. And then that guy should be shamed for saying it would be suitable for a 900 yard mule deer load. Internet idiocy.
Dont tell all the animals I shot with a match bullet that it was a match bullet. They would have said "o that's a match bullet its not going to kill me". Talk about internet idiocy!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.