Anyone use anything like a Jet Sled?

Lee7588

I have been looking at getting a Jet Sled to help get deer out of the woods. I hunt a river bottom and it is muddy with some deadfall, I usually don't get lucky enough to have help getting deer and pigs out. My father in law is 76 and he can't get a deer out by himself. I was looking at the jet sleds or the ones Tractor supply has, but wanted to know what y'all's experience might be with them and any things I need to think about

Are you asking about the ones with WHEELS? Unless you have more or less level ground the width of the cart going up or down in the woods will be very difficult. I recently posted a Sleigh that we use. It is a piece of slick thick plastic that you can roll up to carry and then roll out and place/tie down your animal on it. Slides on the ground really easy over uneven ground, sticks, weed, brush, rocks. I would not go hunting large animals without it.

Are you asking about the ones with WHEELS? Unless you have more or less level ground the width of the cart going up or down in the woods will be very difficult. I recently posted a Sleigh that we use. It is a piece of slick thick plastic that you can roll up to carry and then roll out and place/tie down your animal on it. Slides on the ground really easy over uneven ground, sticks, weed, brush, rocks. I would not go hunting large animals without it.
No wheels. It is similar to what you have but is rigid in its form. I've seen duck hunters and ice fishermen use them. They slide in the ground but are formed plastic

I've drug jet sleds miles. So much so we've put uhmw bar runners down for wear strips.

They slide real good until they don't. Certain gravel and some sands and non wet vegetation can put the brakes on. Dunno if I'd want to haul one by hand with all that much weight behind it. Maybe wet leaves, or clay like mud.

If it were me, I'd pack them out on my backpack that is purpose built for hunting and hauling meat. You could pack a whole deer out in one load with the size of your animals.
My FIL just shot a 240lbs buck the other night that dropped in the the thick woods, if I weren't here he wouldn't have gotten the deer out before the meat would have spoiled. He is 76 yrs old and is finally going to let me put him in a box blind because we are scared he is going to fall out of a stand. His mobility isn't great. So he isn't able to pack out anything.. I can pack and drag but I can't be here all of the time, **** work gets in the way of having fun

I have been using this set-up since the early 1990s in AZ, NM, and now here in MT; hauled out many games with it.

1698236476793.png

It hangs on my pack or vest.
1698236424607.png

It is barely visible but it is connected to a harness.
1698236512380.png

My FIL just shot a 240lbs buck the other night that dropped in the the thick woods, if I weren't here he wouldn't have gotten the deer out before the meat would have spoiled. He is 76 yrs old and is finally going to let me put him in a box blind because we are scared he is going to fall out of a stand. His mobility isn't great. So he isn't able to pack out anything.. I can pack and drag but I can't be here all of the time, **** work gets in the way of having fun
Gotcha. Looking for options for the FIL. How far are your pack outs on avg.?

I have been using this set-up since the early 1990s in AZ, NM, and now here in MT; hauled out many games with it.

View attachment 504922
It hangs on my pack or vest.
View attachment 504921
It is barely visible but it is connected to a harness.
View attachment 504923
I think this is a long the lines of what Len was suggesting. The more I look at it the more I like it over a formed or molded sled, less hard lines to get hung on. Doesn't it roll up?

Recent Posts