Anyone try the 338 300gr Berger Elite Hunter

rwilliamson1

found a box and looked for some data using US869 and couldn't find any. I am testing 100grns of powder to start off. but im wondering what results other people have had and tried, and what results others have had. I have been trying to find a good load for distances of 200yds out to 1500yds. the previous load I was using was 300gr nosler accubond with 99gr us869. it was alittle slower than I was wanting and I wasn't getting the consistency I wanted 1000yds and out. any advice helps thanks.

Robert

Robert,
What caliber are you loading for? I have an 338 Edge and just yesterday began load development for it with the 300 BEH. I too tried the 300 NAB but was not pleased with the velocity and high pressure signs I was getting. Switched to the 300 SMK and got better velocity and accuracy. Yesterday my 300 BEH test loads ran up to 100fps faster than the 300 SMK with the same pressure signs and got very good accuracy. So far only shooting at 100 yards but will work out further when I settle on something I like. I think the shorter bearing surface of the 300 BEH allowed the higher velocities. I had to load them shorter than I would have like though to get them to fit the mag.

My nephew is running the 300 grain Berger in his Edge. He is getting 3,040 fps (30" 5R barrel), very good accuracy and low ES with RL-33 (102 grains if I recall). With the same bullet in my 338 RUM (26.5" barrel) I'm getting 2,750 fps and it groups generally under 1.5" at 200 yards with an ES around 10 fps. I've got some loaded for the 600 yard range and will get out there as soon as the rain quits. With this low ES I expect good things at long range. If you haven't discovered it yet, RL-33 is a great powder.

Robert,
Forgot to add that I'm using H1000 powder and I don't have any info on the US869. Been happy with it so far.

I am also using a 30" 5R barrel. So far with the H1000 I hit 2910fps with 93grs. Have not yet tried the RL33.

Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.