Anyone know what this is?

The action is a F/N Supreme, which is a commercial version of the german 98 mauser, the VZ24 is also a variant of the german 98 and is a true battlefield rifle, the notch cut in front of the bolt stop is to be found on all military 98's its a thumb groove, its purrpose is to aid in reloading the rifle, the 98 was intended to be reloaded with stripper clips, the VZ was manufactured by the czechoslovkia government and is considered to be one of the finer made 98's. back in the 50's the FN was the commercial action of choice for many custom builds, as well as many factory produced rifles, sako weatherby browning and montgomery wards to name a few, the wing safety has been replaced, the FN safety broke to the left, this one breaks to the right but one can see the notch cut on the left side of the bolt shroud for the factory original, as for the rest its hard to say by the pics, the barrel I would guess by the contour could be a apex, they were located I believe in or around the imperial Valley many years ago, the stock work is even harder, I knew a custom rifle make from southern California by the name of Fred Shaw, he was very found of the oak leaf and acorn carving in place of the checkering, also he was the man behind the checkering found on most weatherby rifles produced in the sixties into the 80's, beautiful rifle I own several mannlicher stocked rifles if a animal gets away it won't be because the rifles are not accurate,

That is one beautiful rifle. The engraving is gorgeous, I'm kind of old school so I would love
to have that exact gun with fine checkering instead of carving, but I'm not knocking it. That gun
is lovely.

Zeke

Mauser 98 (style) with the "dip" being the old stripper clip "thumb" push area. With a Buehler (California) 2-position safety on the bolt. Classic from the 50's and 60's. My Dad's has that high-luster blue, as well. And before my brother mucked around with it (and lost it) had a one-piece Buehler scope base with windage adjustments, Conetrol rings, and a 2-3/4x Bushnell Scope Chief with "Command Post". That was a perfect deer rifle! And that bolt handle if pretty much a direct copy of the "cut off" they used to do, "back in the day". I was just leafing through some of my gunsmithing info, and came across the directions for my bolt heat-sink from Brownells... it shows the process in detail. Great stuff. Let us know how it shoots!

Couple more pictures after I took the stock off. Also as I shot, the barrel started creeping up off the stock and to the left. Accuracy was OK for shooting off a corn bag,maybe 3-4" @ 200 yards with a 10x scope.
20210212_155417.jpg
20210212_160033.jpg
20210212_160113.jpg
20210212_160140.jpg

Hi,
Very nice rifle.
Now , some of those receivers had a different set up for the trigger system than the the traditional Mauser. They were a copy of the Winchester 70. A friend of mine in France had one in 300h&h. I have only seen two like that in my life. I guess it would be a rather rare set up. What does yours looks like?

Not hi- jacking the thread.but I have a gun like this in 8mm and one in 270...in tx.rite now home in about a month.will post for sale with pics...
Bill larson

I have a JC higgins rifle with the same FN Belgium action but mine is pretty plain compared to that. I think a lot of companies used those actions in the 50s,60s and 70s.

That scratching (on the left side of the receiver, ending in what looks to be "NJ") is one of those early anti-theft code kits you could buy. The anit-theft people sent you an engraving pen of sorts, and a code, and you could etch/engrave that code into all of your valuable possessions. If anything was stolen, and the police recovered your property, it was an identifier to get it back in your hands.

That scratching (on the left side of the receiver, ending in what looks to be "NJ") is one of those early anti-theft code kits you could buy. The anit-theft people sent you an engraving pen of sorts, and a code, and you could etch/engrave that code into all of your valuable possessions. If anything was stolen, and the police recovered your property, it was an identifier to get it back in your hands.

Wow never heard of such a thing. Would love to see the owners other items that share the same etching.....

It appears to be a Belgium FN Mauser action. The stock is definately a custom of some sort. Receiver is marked "Crown Guns Lynwood Calif"

Barrel is only marked with 300 H&H and trigger says "Jaeger".

Really just looking for some history info. Also has a compass built into the rear of the stock. Craftsmanship is amazing.

View attachment 250713View attachment 250714View attachment 250715View attachment 250716View attachment 250717
It appears to be a Belgium FN Mauser action. The stock is definately a custom of some sort. Receiver is marked "Crown Guns Lynwood Calif"

Barrel is only marked with 300 H&H and trigger says "Jaeger".

Really just looking for some history info. Also has a compass built into the rear of the stock. Craftsmanship is amazing.

View attachment 250713View attachment 250714View attachment 250715View attachment 250716View attachment 250717