Anyone know what this is?

Very pretty rifle with good wood on it. I like my maple stocks to be darkened a little more than that so the figure stands out more, but this one sure is pretty.

Something I found out (the hard way) is that fiddleback maple, because it doesn't have the long grain running through the wrist, is susceptible to breakage right there. You might consider drilling a hole from the back of the action cut into the wrist and putting in a thin steel rod held in place with epoxy. That will strengthen the wrist and not change the look from the outside.

I looked up crown customs guns and found a lot of pictures of very fine weatherybys, with stock engraving similar to this and the addition of engraving on the action. I couldn't find their website
That was the tag Roy used to use for his line of custom guns. Crown Custom. His best rifle.

On the left side, front receiver ring, there are/should be some "Guild" markings. Hard to tell in your pictures as that part of the receiver is in the extreme right of the frame, shaded by the scope. The marks were put there by the old time European gun maker "Guild" members . I believe they were to indicate that the rifle passed the quality inspections. We should have that here now-days. Would eliminate a lot of questions.

You are absolutely correct, I have an identical action on a 1957 .270 Winchester.
So do I, 1953, in '06, chrome vanadium barrel (Europeans like/liked that alloy) , Tiger Maple stock, wrist reinforced with 3/8" threaded rod, plus a rear pillar. Stock originally had plastic diamond inlays , tip and cap. I replaced 'em with real ebony. My "go to rifle".

Recent Posts