Anyone know John Bredderman

Threejs

I'm looking at a custom rifle. I have stumbled across John in a round-about way. I just wondered if anyone has dealt with him or know someone who has. He seems very knowledgable and has good communication. Thanks everybody

I just got a quote from him for several things all of which seemed reasonable, minus installing a barrel. He quoted $400 for barrel installation (not including the barrel). I cannot fathom why. When I asked about this, he simply said, "Maybe I need a cheaper gunsmith." That tells me everything I need to know. There are far to many very talented and professional gunsmiths out there that I would be happy to give my business too. Also without knowing anything about me he generally treated me as an novice.

Also not a major issue but rather than his name or business his emails come up as "Agent Smith," and the email was address is jbisbackintown not a major issue but seems rather unprofessional to me.

I had a very similar discussion with him. He warned me that he is not the cheapest. I looked over the quote and got 2 others. 1 from GAP and 1 from moon at crescent. Moon seems like a **** good guy and he answers the phone or calls back quickly. Anyway about 8 months from now I will have my crescent rifle. And for just a few bucks more than other 'smiths

I just got a quote from him for several things all of which seemed reasonable, minus installing a barrel. He quoted $400 for barrel installation (not including the barrel). I cannot fathom why. When I asked about this, he simply said, "Maybe I need a cheaper gunsmith." That tells me everything I need to know. There are far to many very talented and professional gunsmiths out there that I would be happy to give my business too. Also without knowing anything about me he generally treated me as an novice.

Also not a major issue but rather than his name or business his emails come up as "Agent Smith," and the email was address is jbisbackintown not a major issue but seems rather unprofessional to me.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

$400? Yikes! My gunsmith charged me $250 (IIRC) for squaring my action, chambering, sand blasting, and installing a new barrel on my last project.

same # i have, but no response since last Thursday. The only email I have on this guy is [email protected] No response there either. He hasn't responded to numerous texts either.
Any other email addresses he may have?

Buyer beware of any dealings with John Bredderman. He won't return calls, emails or texts, yet has the time to post new listings on Armslist and Gunbroker. Im prob screwed outve a rifle that I paid for in full... Ill wait another week before I go the legal route.

Good Luck txkaos,
Keep us up to date on your situation. Could be something happened beyond the man's control, and he will square it away with you soon.
If it is something else, a "heads-up" to others on this Forum might be in order.

He finally got ahold of me after I did a name/phone number search, plus I contested the transaction thru paypal. I guess having paypal take money out've your account is one way to get someones attention. Anyways the rifle is on the way, should have it Friday. Thanks for your help in emails and confirming his ph #.

I have him working on a gun for me as well. I got a physical mailing address from him to mail a scope base to but he has gotten very out of touch lately. He used to send me a lot of emails with lots of info and pics of the build in progress but that all disappeared a few weeks ago.

I finally got paranoid about getting scammed so I called manufacturers and had them trace some serial numbers that were visible in pics, and the manufacture dates and specs all matched up.

I think this guy just has pretty godawful customer service. I've been trying to get ahold of him for weeks now with nothing, and he's sitting on no small amount of my build money. It got bad enough I've been googling his name and now I'm seeing you guys with the same concerns.

I'm not sure you and I were on the same page on the barrel install pricing. I charge 350 for a barrel install on most actions. That includes squaring/truing your action; lapping the lugs; threading; chambering; cut to length; crowning and lapping the crown. Blueprinting involves opening up the action tenon .010"; and recutting new threads; square and true actions lugs; the bolt lugs (front and back), face and nose are squared and trued. All work is dial indicated to .0001" and cut with a single point cutter. The 400 I quoted you for a bbl swap may have included the refinishing of the barreled action in a matte caustic blue. If there was a misunderstanding or a miscommunication I do apologize. Thank you for your honest answer and advise in regards to screen names. Please note my BEST email is [email protected]. Feel free to contact me there if prefered.

So I am the man of the hour or the man being roasted on the hot coals. However you want to look at it. I'm not here to air dirty laundry... but this thread was brought to my attention by a solid repeat shooter and I wanted to at least clear the air.

A few things - I'm fairly computer illiterate and would rather be out shooting or machining then sitting in front of a computer. I AM much more responsive to actual phone conversations and will text to stay in touch if prefered. I do prefer to have the shooter involved in the build and send pics of the process as the rifle progresses. Most shooters understand that if a stock or a barrel takes 5/6 months that means there is a plenty of hurry up and wait!! Aside from a phone call or an email once a month - what more can I do? Heck - call Defiance for an action 10 month wait... not bad considering BAT is 16-18 months... Really the bottom line is I don't think I'm PO Ackley but I know from the repeat shooters I work with - I am a pretty **** good riflesmith. Takes a decade + of riflesmithing to be a real master smith and hell Ackley himself was ALWAYS learning... we all should too! I might be a strong cup coffee but I am passionate about building rifles correctly. Over the short amount of time I have acquired over 100 reamers from needing a reamer to complete a rifle. Thanks for your help Manson and PTG!! I guess with the repeat customers and the gathering of reamers for chambers is any indicator I think I'm doing something right... Since my # is all over this thread - please feel free to give me a call - same # I've had for over a decade... I'm usually on/off machines throughout the day - just leave a message - I will call back asap.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.