Anyone here ever play with the Ruger .204 ?

There is one available at local pawn shop and it is real tempting.....
I am in the process of building AR15 in 204 Ruger, Its close to the 5.56 but is a speed demon at close to or even over 4,000 fps. a great Vermont round. One of the positives is that its not very popular. good because you can probably get it at a great price. if you can, it would be a great investment. Plenty of brass available, lot of bullits. Go for it.

My thoughts and experience with both .204 and .223

For PDs and Coyotes, .204 hands down. Just look and the bc of the .20cal 39gr BK, .287 and a respectable speed of 3600.

You would need a 64gr .224 cal bullet (Berger .296 bc) to match that but would suffer a 500-600 fps loss depending on barrel length.

Plug this data into ballistic program, you'll get the idea.

Yeah I agree it's the same thing with my 20BRA and the 55's at 3750, 28" a drop at 500.

I'm on my second 204 ruger I've killed everything I've shot with it stone dead instantly. But I believe as previously mentioned CROWS are the best explosion and most fun to shoot with it . Mine likes the 40 gr Hornady bullets pretty well . Over a stiff charge of some win 748. I have not run my newest one over the chronograph but my old 20 inch barrel I was getting 3675 FPS with my load . I'd say by adding 8 inches more of barrel and almost 1 1/2 grains more of powder in should be pushing 3900 pretty hard.
As for the mention of the 17 Remington I've got a model 700 in one of those little zippers too . With it roughly every 20 shots you'd better be ready to clean the barrel. It does shoot pretty decent till bout round 17-18 then it goes to pot pretty quick

i've toyed with the idea of buying one for my boys to introduce them to centerfire when they get older. they look like a fun little cartridge and the MV is over 4,000 fps.

Interesting post!

I killed a few dozen PDS with my friends 22-250, and as I said before, thousands with my 204 but I never shot a 17Rem before.

I would say that the 22-250 hits MUCH harder my 204 and is better in the wind BUT I can see my impacts with the 204 and I could not with the 22-250.

My question is, how would you compare the 17Rem to the others and where does it fit in?
17 Rem doesn't really compare with the 204, which does beautifully all the work you want the 17 Rem to do.
The 22-250 is definitely a step up but the fun factor drops away due to much increased blast and recoil.

I am in the process of building AR15 in 204 Ruger, Its close to the 5.56 but is a speed demon at close to or even over 4,000 fps. a great Vermont round. One of the positives is that its not very popular. good because you can probably get it at a great price. if you can, it would be a great investment. Plenty of brass available, lot of bullits. Go for it.
I built a ar in 204 for a friend a couple of years ago. The thing was a great shooter. I did have a few problems in the build with barrels, but once the manufacturer of the second brand barrel I bought for it talked to me and got it set up right the thing was a good shooter.

Just finished my AR15 build in 204 Ruger. an absolute tack driver! I dont like cheaply made componants. all comes out in the end, although I do often time use Anderson lowers. found them to be just fine. i also used a Wilson barre, in stainless. 1.8 twist but will replce it later with a slightly faster twist. Uses standard AR15 EVERYTHING, Nice way to build a low cont varmint DEADLY Shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.