Anyone have a barrel block hunting rifle/long barrel?

Lee in Texas

Wondering if anyone has a really long barrel and floats the action.

Also...I looked around on here and didn't see a lot of really long barrels. (certainly could have overlooked it). I've seen '06-class BR rifles with 34 inch barrels, but then hunting rifles with more powder pushing the same bullet and 26 inches of barrel. I understand wanting to keep the weight down, but I also wonder what a .264 WinMag or 7mmSTW could do with 34" of barrel.

Also...I looked around on here and didn't see a lot of really long barrels. (certainly could have overlooked it). I've seen '06-class BR rifles with 34 inch barrels, but then hunting rifles with more powder pushing the same bullet and 26 inches of barrel. I understand wanting to keep the weight down, but I also wonder what a .264 WinMag or 7mmSTW could do with 34" of barrel.

My gunsmith builds them and montana native has one of his builds >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...a-improved-something-little-different-150813/

I had only seen barrel blocks on benchrest rifles. Thanks for sharing that. It's a nice looking rig.

You're quite welcome. Dave explained how his blocked rifle configuration work as montana native in his post. His block system design is quite amazing and so as the results.

I thought long and hard to have one build this summer but I stayed with my original plan ... maybe on the next build. :D

Cheers!

There are reasons that you don't see many rifles like you described.

Barrel blocks work very well for stationary(Bench) rifles but only add weight to a carry rifle and don't contribute enough to accuracy to be a benefit in my opinion when most long range rifles
will already out shoot there owners and will normally be sub 1/4 MOA rifles.

Also on a carry rifle, 30" or 31" seems to be optimum barrel length for portability and velocity. velocity does improve with barrels longer than 30" but values diminish to a point of very little improvement and other problems start being a consideration.

Dan Lilja Of Lilja barrels, did some test starting with a 46" barrel and reduced it by 2" at a time using the same loads and the results were interesting. it is a good read. it should explain the pros
and con of barrel length.

Long Barrel Velocities - Lilja

Barrel contour also becomes critical with long barrels and has to be considered.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.