Anyone handloading the Sierra 69gr. HPBT Match?

Ron S

Have any of you got a good load with the 69gr HPBT match bullet? I've tried the manual loads,but feel there is something better out there. The bullet does fly well out of my Savage Long Range Percision Varminter in .223. I've tried Varget,and it seems as I have the only gun in the country that dosen't like that powder. The best so far is W748,but dosen't seem very consistant. Any help will be appreciated Ron

Ron, I'm shooting 69gr Nosler Custom Competition HPBT's ( a very similar bullet, BC .305) out of a RRA 18" varmint A4 using:

Accurate Arms 2520 - 25.0gr
LC brass
WSR primers
OAL~ 2.240" but my base to ogive is 1.863"
AV vel = 2800fps (@ 40 deg F, 24.48 station pressure)
No pressure signs.

It's grouping around 0.5 MOA @ 100 yds but I don't shoot off a decent rest, just a picnic table and a few sandbags....might be better.

When I developed it, initially I set out to duplicate HSM (The Hunting Shack's) 69gr HPBT match load, which is getting stupid expensive. My SD is 10 lower and vel is 150 fps faster not to mention the price is less than 1/2 and groups the same. I've run the load up to 26.0 gr (av 2950fps) but noticed a degrade in velocity and some very slight pressure signs on the cases (primers were fine, but the extractor was diggin into the rim base a little bit), so you've got room to play and don't need to worry about pressure when it gets hot out.

Actually Varget shoot better groups in that RRA of mine but the velocity vs powder is better in 2520, least for me.

Good luck

24.5 -25.5 RL-15, fed cases, wsr,and nos 69 AR 1/9 twist shot great in two different rifles.

Thanks,Guy's for the info. My gun is shooting well,but I feel it could do better. Most of the shooting/load testing was done @100yds.and to be honest,it shoots a number of loads well,but when you go to 200yds. the results really change! So far the best load is 24.5grs of W748,in Win Cases,WSR primers. COL. 2.360 (You can run the bullet out to 2.390 before touching the lands). The gun has a really long leade,but was desinged for the longer bullets.All the load development came to a halt when I discovered my scope wasn't holding zero. Now I'm not sure if the groups were actual size,or the scope was spreading the groups out? I shot this group at 100yds. and the first five went into one group. The next five started to string higher,cuting a verticle line. The scope has been sent in for repair/replacement,so all testing has come into a halt for now (the weather here really stinks anyway).Thanks again for the information, Ron
IM001149.jpg

Could be the barrel heating up causing an increase in cartridge temp and muzzle velocity, thus raising POI. Depends on how hot you got her and how long new rounds fed into the chamber got a chance to sit and cook in there. Could have been a change in you natural point of aim from fatigue....could have be a few other things....

If you weren't playing with it (adjusting knobs, optic power) and it just sat there under the mild recoil of a 223, I doubt the issue is the glass....unless it's a really crappy scope. If it was something associated with the optics I'd blame the mounts way before sending the scope back to get fixed.......but then again I'd be happy with that group :) Mileage may vary!

What are the specs on the rest of the gear?

Could be the barrel heating up causing an increase in cartridge temp and muzzle velocity, thus raising POI. Depends on how hot you got her and how long new rounds fed into the chamber got a chance to sit and cook in there. Could have been a change in you natural point of aim from fatigue....could have be a few other things....

If you weren't playing with it (adjusting knobs, optic power) and it just sat there under the mild recoil of a 223, I doubt the issue is the glass....unless it's a really crappy scope. If it was something associated with the optics I'd blame the mounts way before sending the scope back to get fixed.......but then again I'd be happy with that group :) Mileage may vary!

What are the specs on the rest of the gear?
Caldwell Rock BR. Rabbit ear rear bag. The scope was sent off to Sightron,and they verified it wouldn't track,or hold zero. They are sending a replacement (should arrive today). Mounts are Ken Farrell mounts. The reason we were pretty sure is was the scope is,we mounted it on a known to be accurate BR rifle,and got the same results. The gun is shot off the bench with the "free recoil method" of shooting,shots were "timed" at 3 minutes apart,but the gun should be able to shoot at least 5-7 shots rapid fire,to be in contention at rifle matches. So barrel heating isn't an issue,unless the gun has problems. I'll post the results ,after mounting the new scope,and squaring it up with the action. We are also thinking of mounting a "F" class stock on the action,but that would bump the gun out of the production class. Ron

Ron I'm shooting 25.3gr of Varget in a BVSS with the bullets jammed .010. Fed primers and win brass. I'm using Wilson dies and so far they shoot ¼" if I do my part.

AR-15 Reloader 15 24gr out of a 16in 1in7 barrel at 100yd under 1in.
Have a picture of the target but can not figure out how to attach it.

IMR 3031 24.3 gr , cci br small rifle in win case under 69 gr smk loaded just of the lands got me .153 @100 yds

Been playing with these guys in my AR for a while now. I feel the same as you I guess. Some days I feel like I'm getting the results I want with all rounds touching on paper and measuring less than .5" groups and other days I get flyers and get disappointed with my pet. But I use the 69gn BTHP seated at 2.269, cause the mags absolutely won't allow any longer seating depth, 24.8 gn of 748 and CCI BR4 primers. Guns a bushmaster varmiter with a 24" bull barrel at 1-9 twist. It's on the slower end and I kinda think. Never actually run them through a chrono but I'm thinking just under 3000/fps. That seems to be the ticket. I'd really like to make a faster round but with all of my trips to the range it seems that I get lots more flyers and lots of spread out groups if I do. I shoot off of a bi-pod and bags from a table typically but borrow a buddy's lead sled now and again too.

If anyone has ideas that could tighten up my groups I'm always up for trying something new....

I tried them in my AR and could not get the results I wanted. Did some load testing for a week and quit. After 3 loading my brass was beat all to pieces. Well compared to bolt brass which is what I'm used to.

Looks like the scope was the issue, hopefully the Varget will work now. Seems to do well 24.5-25.5 depending on the gun. 25.5 is on the warm side.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.