Anyone ever reverse engineered HSM Trophy Gold ammo?

What's with folks all of a sudden wanting to duplicate mediocrite?

It's a waste of time.

You know they use 168 Bergers.

You can measure the OAL as a starting point. But, you'll likely find something better when you fine tune your seating depth.

You can reload the once fired brass or get some Norma brass which will be even better.

Pick a good powder/primer such as H4831SC with Fed GM215M primers.

Get a reloading manual or go to Hodgdon's website. And, do a proper load workup. My guess is that you'll find a better load within the first 20 shots.

The second 20 shots will confirm. And, you can improve on that down the road.

-- richard

If I were to attempt reverse engineering, I would run factory ammo through a chronometer.

Then I would take one and weigh the powder and then run through the data in QL and see if any of the listed powders looked close.

If more than one does, then I would compare visually to see if one stood out as matching the velocity and weight calculation of QL as well as looked visually similar.

In the end, you would still have to start low and work up to confirm your observations though.....

In my view a lot more trouble than choosing a powder that is available that meets your criteria and simply working up to accuracy node and calling it done.

I tend to try and use those powders that have decent density and are known to be temperature tolerant.

This is very good advice!

hi guys
I took a 7mm rem mag hsm trophy gold apart and they only use 61.2 grs of powder. they advertise as 3020 fps. is that even possible, I'm using 70 grs of h1000 and only getting around 2780.....

Plus 1 on what Aldon is saying. I have done the same and gotten close but still had to make some changes. Since then I just start out with some powder usually a temp stable hodgdons and work up a load depending one the caliber for which powder choice I use. Also I think one of the big advertises HSM was promoting in the past was that there loads were supposed to be loaded with temp stable powder. So it may be something of the hodgdons line but there own mix, or blend. If it was me I would use some type of temp stable powder any way..Retumbo or H1000 will probably be a top choice for 7mm mag but hard to find. So may want to shoot for hodgdons 4831SSC or just the H4831 ..Now if you want a really hard one..Try and reverse Eng. some Weatherby ammo. Its really impossible. I tried it to some degree and couldn't come close to the factory ammo speed the 257 Wby mag was producing from my vanguard. Good luck on the quest.

Hello all. I know I'm a little late to the show here, but I wanted to chime in. I have a custom built left hand, Remington 700 chambered for 30-06 that I just recently finished building. I considered a lot of different calibers but because of all the bullet choices and modern powders, I can load it to do anything I want. I can also cleanly kill any animal that I'll ever hunt in North America out to 700yds. After the build was complete, I bought 8 boxes of factory ammo to see what would shoot the best. I tried, HSM, Federal, Remington, Winchester, and Hornady in different grain weights. Most of the bullets were between 165 and 178 grains. To my surprise the HSM Trophy Gold with the 168gr. Berger VLD's(usually finicky to seating depth) shot less then 1/2" MOA at 100yds and the Nosler ammo that I normally have good luck with shot horribly, 2 1/2"-3" MOA. Anyway, the HSM shot best followed by the Hornady Precision Hunter with 178gr. ELD-X bullets.
I got home, took apart a couple of cartridges, checked out the powder, took various cartridge and bullet measurements and tried to replicate the loads. For the HSM clones, the COAL was 3.330. I started my loading by using Winchester brass, BR-2 primers, H414, IMR4350 and Varget powders. I started with 168gr. hunting VLD bullets like HSM uses.
I'll cut to the chase, here is what I found... When it was all said and done, after trying different mixes of components, the load that was plenty fast and shot most accurately was the load that follows; Use as a reference only, I started at 54gr. and worked my way up to 58grains!!! ---------- Hornady brass, BR-2 primers, 58 grains of IMR 4350 powder that might or might not be compressed depending on seating depth(with the 168gr. VLD and a coal of 3.330 it's not, but barely) and the Berger 168grain hunting VLD Bullets. I used the 168 grain and seated them exactly the same depth as they were on the HSM ammo. I also tried H414 powder with everything else the same and it shot well too. I also tried a different load with the Berger 185grain Hunting VLD's and seated the longer bullets exactly the same depth as the 168's and they shot okay to pretty well. I adjusted the seating depth not based on the COAL but on the ogive and bearing surface length, compared those measurements to the HSM ammo with the 168 grain bullets and replicated that. Bingo, they shot great too! I hope this info is still helpful to somebody out there in the shooting world!
If you have any questions, or need help deciphering my ramblings, feel free to drop me an e-mail. I'm always willing to talk shooting, hunting or reloading...Salmon, trout or Steelhead fishing too for that matter!!! :)

You hear people all the.time.wanting to duplicate factory loadings especially on the AR forums.

Makes.no sense at all to me as a reloader.

We can create a load matched to our barrel that should outperform any factory loading.

Why copy something inferior to our own product.

I don't care why the guys asked the question...I just responded to try and be helpful. I used the HSM ammo as a starting point for my reloading since it was such an accurate round. The ammo I loaded is much faster than the factory ammo and just as accurate. By using the HSM ammo as a starting point, I saved myself a lot of time, money and energy developing some new loads for a caliber that I hadn't reloaded much in the past. I totally understand the guy's question and that's why I responded. He has a gun that shoots a particular ammo very well and he wants more of the same ammo for it. Or, he wants to make the ammo better. Or, he's an inquisitive guy who just wants to know. Not everybody is an avid loader, or have a lot of experience or have a lot of time to develop loads. Or have the money to buy 10 different powders to find the best one for a particular caliber and bullet weight. He asked a question and I had some insight that I thought he or someone else might find helpful, so I shared it. I like to read everyone's posts on the board and post some myself occasionally. I've learned so much and been given tons of great ideas pertaining to long range hunting. I try to be friendly, positive and helpful as much as I can without saying anything that will discourage people from asking questions, or keep people from posting. Kevin

I don't care why the guys asked the question...I just responded to try and be helpful. I used the HSM ammo as a starting point for my reloading since it was such an accurate round. The ammo I loaded is much faster than the factory ammo and just as accurate. By using the HSM ammo as a starting point, I saved myself a lot of time, money and energy developing some new loads for a caliber that I hadn't reloaded much in the past. I totally understand the guy's question and that's why I responded. He has a gun that shoots a particular ammo very well and he wants more of the same ammo for it. Or, he wants to make the ammo better. Or, he's an inquisitive guy who just wants to know. Not everybody is an avid loader, or have a lot of experience or have a lot of time to develop loads. Or have the money to buy 10 different powders to find the best one for a particular caliber and bullet weight. He asked a question and I had some insight that I thought he or someone else might find helpful, so I shared it. I like to read everyone's posts on the board and post some myself occasionally. I've learned so much and been given tons of great ideas pertaining to long range hunting. I try to be friendly, positive and helpful as much as I can without saying anything that will discourage people from asking questions, or keep people from posting. Kevin

Sorry if I sounded short. I apologize.

It just.frustrates me when I see this. It doesn't take 10 powders or.a bunch of work to develop a load. The reloading.manuals and these days practical experience from other reloader on the internet will give you great starting points. Sniffing and visual inspections of factory powders don't.

I don't want to discourage anyone from pursuing this hobby but I hate to see them go down the wrong path.

Now I must admit load development is one of.my favorite parts of.the shooting sports.

There are several threads on this forum that discuss 7Mag 168grain Berger loads with H1000. All you have to do is search.

You hear people all the.time.wanting to duplicate factory loadings especially on the AR forums.

We can create a load matched to our barrel that should outperform any factory loading.

It's not inferior if it's shooting better than anything else you have tried.

It's not inferior if it's shooting better than anything else you have tried.

Nothing.wrong with shooting factory ammo if that is what you wish to do.

When I am hog hunting with my grendel I use factory ammo because I don't want to lose my Lapua brass

Works.just fine

I reload the Hornady sst's too. But never tried to recreate the Hornady factory ammo

Nothing.wrong with shooting factory ammo if that is what you wish to do.

When I am hog hunting with my grendel I use factory ammo because I don't want to lose my Lapua brass

Works.just fine

I reload the Hornady sst's too. But never tried to recreate the Hornady factory ammo
This is what you wrote.

is it not?

Well I know.for.a.fact that.I can produce.reloads.that.are more.accurate than factory in my guns

But for.most.applications factory performance.is.completely acceptable

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.