HSM's Trophy Gold Ammo

preddhunter

just wondering if anyone has used the 300 win mag 185gr and 210gr ammo from hsm and if they ran it through a chrony to see what u where getting for speed they claim 3094 for the 185gr and 3050 for the 210gr and was wondering if that was right or not seems high for the 210s.

thanks.

just wondering if anyone has used the 300 win mag 185gr and 210gr ammo from hsm and if they ran it through a chrony to see what u where getting for speed they claim 3094 for the 185gr and 3050 for the 210gr and was wondering if that was right or not seems high for the 210s.

thanks.

For the price that I saw on that ammo, why not invest in reloading equipment and make all of your match grade ammo? I looked at their stuff as well, but after weighing in all the pros and cons I decided that for the cost of about a year's worth of shooting with "match grade ammo" I could buy a reloading kit and save tons in the long run.

Not knowing anything about the company I recommended their 6.5x284 ammo to a friend of mine that wanted a custom rifle built to shoot the 140 bergers out of but didn't reload and that was a big mistake!! When he recieved the ammo and shot it it was horrible, groups were 1.5 MOA at 100 yards. In the barrel break in with his rifle using handloads the gun consistantly shot .5 moa or less. I pulled one of the 140 bullets from HSM and found that they crimped the bullet so tight there was now a indent all the way around the bullet, no wonder they don't shoot. This is supposed to be about as close to custom ammo as you can get. I think people are better off with Superior out of SD for their "custom" ammo needs.

I chrono'd the HSM trophy gold vld 300winmag 185gr and got 2992fps average with 20shots out of a 24" barrel. If you look their advertised velocity is out of a 26" barrel so they very well may be close on their velocity claims. I used them this fall to take a antelope at 396 yards and a mule deer at 264 yards. The rounds and bullets preformed flawlessly! I had 2 days left on my hunt and hit up some prairie dogs with kills at 465, 368, 341, 384. The only reason I remember those distances was that I was so impressed I wrote down in my hunting journal. IHO they out preform all so called premium ammo that I have ever used and at $40/box it's a no brainer.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.