Anyone else here with a secret Gunsmith?

Smith I use had 40 years of gunsmith schooling....with his dad...
Now this guys son is working with him sporadically...son works mostly on the AR styles...dad prefers the old school bolt guns....winchester and ruger...does a lot on gems and the rest too....just finished my second semi custom.....now he wants me to come up and help build his garage for a partial towards another rifle........bad is I don't need another........yaya....I know......... BLASPHEMY..........

Oh yeah....he just retired from a transportation company job...well..he thought he retired....hes full time building again......he keeps asking me when his time to hunt comes...I told him.....two weeks before hunting season for the next 3 months or tags filled........long winters to work on rifles....

Yes, I agree . I said to his son, my barreled was worked on, by him, in his shop, and it must be in the shop, somewhere. Or , it has been stolen, or sold , and its gone. I don't think there was another Model 700 Barreled Action in 375 H and H in his little shop!!! I Feel really dumb as it was all done , paid for ,ready to ship, and then I sent the stock for bedding. Thank You DJ,

Is there any chance he could report it as stolen? He would probably still never see it again but you never know. Someone has possession of it. I can't be nowhere, it has to be somewhere. Guns don't just set in the same place forever when whoever is in possession of them pass away. When someone passes away, people come after what they want and liquidize what they don't want.
Anything can happen when someone passes. Family should only "take what they want", or assets dispersed evenly between heirs only after any liabilities have been paid in full and signed-off on by a Judge. But, it doesn't always happen that way.... I think the lesson is, know who you're dealing with, even if you're shipping, especially if you are shipping. Insist on receipts, ask if FFLicensed and get the partial number like used on EZ-Check. Claim Checks aren't a bad idea, either.

Last edited:
Is there any chance he could report it as stolen?
It's possible. Maybe if there's a statute there entitled "Theft of Property Lost or Mislaid". Would be entered into NCIC that way and if the serial numbers are ever ran it would pop up. Otherwise it's liable to be just 'passed over' as a 'Civil Issue' which LE agencies as a general rule don't mess with. Worth a shot ONLY if all other avenues have been exhausted and still no progress made. :confused:

Yes, I contacted another gunsmith , in the same area, who knew him well. He went to the shop and offered to help sort everything, but Hamerick's son told him to leave. I gave him the serial number, in case he runs into it. I told him its a barrel, with express sights , and a barrel band and the receiver. No Bolt, No Trigger Guard, No Floorplate , and the Safari Grade Remington Stock.

WOW!!!!! Thank You so much sir!!! That means if some buys my rifle parts , the serial number will pop up as a stolen item. That is incredible information. Thank You, Thank You!!!

Thank You, Thank You!!!
You're most welcome. If entered by your reporting agency the 'hit' (if the serial numbers are ran by another LE agency) would return to your agency's terminal (dispatch center). Those dispatchers would then communicate with the dispatchers at the other end where the 'hit' occurred and the reporting/entering deputy/officer would be notified and would/should get in touch with you. It's a long shot, but it's worth a try if all else fails. Over the last 14 years I have recovered many (not all) stolen auto's and firearms with this tool. Good luck with this unfortunate situation!

Without getting into a legal discussion, if Lenny reported it stolen when its property in dispute over a probate or a civil issue, wouldn't that technically be falsifying a report?

No. When firearms can't be accounted for (through no fault of the owner) it's ALWAYS best to err on the side of caution and enter it as stolen into NCIC. However, if Lenny had GIVEN/SOLD that firearm to someone and then turned around and reported it stolen then yes....that would be 'Falsely Reporting an Incident'.

I have met a fella similar to what y'all are talking about. I have enjoyed learning all that I can from this man. He is not only very knowledgeable but he is also very willing to share his knowledge with others. Turns out, he has become very good friend.
you just can't put a value or price on that

I travel completely cross country to mine. One of the most knowledgeable and caring people I know. He is well known. I have had the opportunity to meet his family and he has met mine. He is a very good friend and mentor. I do not call him my gunsmith, I call him my friend.

Jayson

This is the best for both the smith and the owner because if you get to know the smith well and he you, there is more desire to help each other to end up with a great project. The more you communicate with each other, the better and often it leads to friendships that last. Friends Listen to each other and this also helps.

Be friends with your smith and a good smith will/should return the favor and who knows, they may become "Good" friends.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:

Recent Posts