Anyone else here with a secret Gunsmith?

DJ Fergus

There's an older fellow about 70 years old about 30 minutes from my house. He lives in a rural area. He's a retired machine shop supervisor and 40 year gunsmith. He's got all his machine equipment behind his house in a modest building and don't advertise his business what so ever and really doesnt really want me to tell any people about him. He chamber up a 6.5 prc for me on a bartlein blank. I got on my 500 yard gong after the fourth shot ever fired from the rifle and proceeded to shoot an honest 2.25" group with Hornady 147 gr factory ammo. To say the least, I was highly impressed. There's stories around the community about his dad who would take a empty 12 gauge shell, stand it upright on a fence post. Shoot it with a 22 pistol and lay the empty shell over, shoot it again and stand it up right again. And do it over and over again.

Last edited:
This fellow has an FFL and is all legal. Apparently local word of mouth has got him more business than he wants and he doesn't care to take on much more. A buddy who lives close to me told me about him. Another local gunsmith told my buddy this fellow. The other gunsmith said this fellow was the best gunsmith he had ever known. Says a lot about a gunsmith when another gunsmith admits he's better than he is.

Gunsmith is a hard business. Let him stay secret, no matter how good he is.

so many that get exposed online can't handle the order volume. That never goes well!
Yeah, he's been really good to me. I wouldn't want to bring any extra burdens on him. He suffered a loss of a loved one few years ago and he quit for a long time cause he was crushed by that loss. I think he's just doing it now to keep his spirits up, not so much for the money.

I drink with mine, we talk about black powder.

1591819470577.png

J/K

I also have a very similar set-up, a word of mouth fella lives not far from me. A very good smith that works on guns for people in the area, and builds accuracy guns as a main line. Taught me a lot and is a very good friend as well. Hes a master at making custom stocks and can do about anything you need. Lets me use his range so was up shooting and talking to him for the last two days. I treasure the knowledge and help he gives me.

There's an older fellow about 70 years old about 30 minutes from my house. He lives in a rural area. He's a retired machine shop supervisor and 40 year gunsmith. He's got all his machine equipment behind his house in a modest building and don't advertise his business what so ever and really doesnt really want me to tell any people about him.
I swear you just described MY gunsmith who is only about 10 minutes from my house. Every rifle he's built for me has been extremely accurate (with the proper hand loads). He doesn't advertise except through word of mouth and is still very "choosy" on the jobs he does and who he does them for. His shop resembles what a hoarders house looks like and has "pathways" that allow him (and his dog) to go from his desk/work-bench to his lathe, drill press and bead-blast cage. My ONLY complaint is that he is slower than Christmas......but I know I'm gonna get what I pay for in the end. Sometimes I go there just to sit and talk with him to soak up as much of his knowledge as possible.

I Had a Gunsmith in South Carolina. Jack Hamerick Customs. Did a super job on a 98 Mauser action. But Job # 2 took 3 years to complete. New Rem. 700 barreled action in .375H and H . Still in the box from 1989. New sweat on Barrel Front Sights , Express sights and a barrel band. When the work was finally done, I paid him in full , and then , foolishly, I sent him the stock form Pilar Bedding, and a new Black recoil pad. Then he passed away. No word of this. Several Phone calls and letter and e mails. Finally I learned of his passing. My "Rifle "is Gone. His family knows nothing of his business, or what's in his shop. Any body have any suggestions about what I can possible do to retrieve my barreled action and stock.???