Anyone do blueing nowadays?

Thanks for all replies. I did google for anyone local but came up empty. As I stated earlier this gun is not a high dollar piece and it's looking like most places are in the $300 range not including shipping costs. Too much for a $300 gun imo.
I am going the DIY route. Probably go with oxpho or vans. Great tips on lightly heating before application!

Glad I found this thread, I plan on refinishing the stock on my grandfathers Model 12 as it is rough enough that the top of the stock rips the hair out of my beard making it unpleasant to shoot. The metal is pretty beat and has been since long before I ever owned it, I figured if I'm going to restore the stock I might as well restore the metal too.

Thanks for all replies. I did google for anyone local but came up empty. As I stated earlier this gun is not a high dollar piece and it's looking like most places are in the $300 range not including shipping costs. Too much for a $300 gun imo.
I am going the DIY route. Probably go with oxpho or vans. Great tips on lightly heating before application!
Make sure your prep work is very good. No oil or finger prints left on the metal, hot soapy water using dawn dish detergent to get it off. As mentioned before, heat it up with hair dryer or propane torch. Don't touch with bare hands. Don't oil it until you're happy with the color. Once its oiled its set. Also, make sure all the old blue is off.

Another is Glenrock Blue, in Glenrock,WY. They have a web site. Gun bluing is their only business. Shipping is possibly the problem. If you are not licensed and have a firearms account with FedEx or UPS, the USPS or "Ship My Gun" are about your only choices. As mentioned earlier in this thread by PopUNFresh, gun bluing is labor intensive, even if not going for that "Weatherby" gloss. Further, the chemicals have become expensive. I recently priced 125lbs, $625 I believe was the quote, with hazmat shipping required. Then there is neutralizing and disposing of the bluing solution. The mixed tank will last for a good long time, and chemical and water are regularly added. But, eventually, the tank will need to be cleaned and the mixture discarded. Your best bet is to source locally, if possible.
I don't have a firearms account however S&W sent me a label and I was able to ship a pistol back to them through Fed Ex. Perhaps one of the businesses that perform the bluing operations could do the same as far as the shipping is concerned. I don't know but it would be worth asking.

I don't have a firearms account however S&W sent me a label and I was able to ship a pistol back to them through Fed Ex. Perhaps one of the businesses that perform the bluing operations could do the same as far as the shipping is concerned. I don't know but it would be worth asking.
One of the recommended blueing shops noted for shipping that you can send it without FFL since it's not being sold.
I would definitely check beforehand.

Oxpho Blue from Brownells works pretty well. We still do hot bluing in the little shop I work in but are trying to get away from it. Hot bluing is a very labor intensive process and expensive, not to mention all the EPA issues. Our basic bead blast blue job with no other prep work starts at $250.00 for a long gun, anything more than the most basic prep work the cost goes up, way up!

If you have a local shop with an FFL, they should be able to ship it for you, likely for a reasonable handling fee if any.