Anyone do blueing nowadays?

birddog 68

I was doing a wipe down on the safe queens and found my first shotgun way in the back. It's a Winchester model 37 A in 20 gauge.
Years ago I did a stupid thing and used some camo tape on it for turkey hunting and didn't remove it until a year later. It was horrible looking when I removed the tape so I followed it up by doing a half a** blueing job.
My gunsmith doesn't do blueing anymore he just does ceracoat but I would rather have it blued.
I really don't think the gun is worth much but I would like to see it in close to original condition at a affordable price. Is this even possible nowadays?
I am looking for DIY suggestions or a shop or person that can do it at a reasonable price.
Here's the gun.

Attachments

• 7B9A4846-919B-49E3-B04A-5D24ADCE2EF2.jpeg
    7B9A4846-919B-49E3-B04A-5D24ADCE2EF2.jpeg
    609.6 KB · Views: 106
A lot of sentimental value in that shotgun for sure. As far as cold bluing goes, I've never had much success except for touch up, I never could get that deep blue look. I've used birchwood Casey super blue and tetra gun liquid blue, both great for touch up but that's about it. I haven't had a rifle blued by a smith in about 40 years and you're right about most guys just want to coat them. Good luck in your search, hopefully someone will chime in

plenty of people still blue, what you're going to run into is cost and lead time.

prep for bluing isn't usually the blast finish that you do for park or paint, it's hand polish which takes time.

then there's no sense in firing up the tanks for one barrel or gun either, need to wait until there's enough to be worth the smith's time.

you could express blue it but I'd want a tank big enough to boil the barrel in at a minimum and that can be fabricated for cheap but still is time and money

I was doing a wipe down on the safe queens and found my first shotgun way in the back. It's a Winchester model 37 A in 20 gauge.
Years ago I did a stupid thing and used some camo tape on it for turkey hunting and didn't remove it until a year later. It was horrible looking when I removed the tape so I followed it up by doing a half a** blueing job.
My gunsmith doesn't do blueing anymore he just does ceracoat but I would rather have it blued.
I really don't think the gun is worth much but I would like to see it in close to original condition at a affordable price. Is this even possible nowadays?
I am looking for DIY suggestions or a shop or person that can do it at a reasonable price.
Here's the gun.
Is E.L. Gorenflos (maybe mis-spelled) still in Erie? Don't know if they still do bluing. 814-452-4855

I can highly recommend Ahlman"s Guns out of MN. I was in a similar situation with a revolver. They reblued it exceptionally well with a reasonable turn around and very affordable price.

Is E.L. Gorenflos (maybe mis-spelled) still in Erie? Don't know if they still do bluing. 814-452-4855
Thanks I will check into both of them.

Here's the gun.
This guy has a few videos on bluing. And the results are pretty good for DIY. Could not find the exact video but this one is somewhat decent.

I would personally like to try this process of spraying it on. I believe you would get a much better finish.

Last edited:
Another is Glenrock Blue, in Glenrock,WY. They have a web site. Gun bluing is their only business. Shipping is possibly the problem. If you are not licensed and have a firearms account with FedEx or UPS, the USPS or "Ship My Gun" are about your only choices. As mentioned earlier in this thread by PopUNFresh, gun bluing is labor intensive, even if not going for that "Weatherby" gloss. Further, the chemicals have become expensive. I recently priced 125lbs, $625 I believe was the quote, with hazmat shipping required. Then there is neutralizing and disposing of the bluing solution. The mixed tank will last for a good long time, and chemical and water are regularly added. But, eventually, the tank will need to be cleaned and the mixture discarded. Your best bet is to source locally, if possible.

I've used that Birchwood Casey cold blueing stuff on a Remington 22 that got rusty from looking at it. It actually seems to be holding up better than the factory Remington blueing. I'd give that a try, I think you'd be out like $30 if you didn't like the way it turned out and you're not going to hurt anything. I was going to do my 870 as well but, I think I'd rather have that cerakoted.

That was my uncle's bread and butter (he has passed) he was a gunsmith . He repaired and did the hot blueing wood repair and refinishing. It has been very hard to find anyone still doing hot blue work . Most doe the cerakoted

Here's the gun.
Here's a company in Harrisburg Pa. But no idea on their work. http://www.staudtsgunshop.com/bluing.html
Have you tried https://www.shawcustombarrels.com/

Last edited:
Here's the gun.
One thing I forgot to add on the DIY. I noticed in most of the videos I watched was the amount of prep you do. Just like painting a car. Prep was key. And I also have been watching the hot bluing videos. It is doable. But much harder & more expensive. As someone else suggested try a DIY again. But this time spend a day watching the how to videos. We have better products today also.