Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

glad I read through the forum I have a m1000 eclipse only place I could find was Hart Barrel 10 month wait, at least From what I've read I have the only one that doesn't shoot good. I get around 1 1/2 groups at 100. $1000 for a barrel or 1200 for a savage, don't know whats best.
CJ, if someone is gonna charge you $1,000 for a barrel, you'd better call someone else. No barrel is worth $1,000.

You can get a Douglas XX Air-Gauged barrel (gauged to 0.0002" straightness) in your choice of twist and caliber, and it's still under $350. We're talking a match-grade benchrest quality barrel.

Rock Creek barrels can be had for under $500, with the 5R Obermeyer rifling, in your choice of twist rate and caliber... And they're about the best there is.

If you are talking about rebarreleing, bedding the action, truing the reciever, and all that hoopla being $1,000...Then yes, that would be about right for a good high-end barrel.

Don't get stuck on Hart as being the only barrel mfg out there. Douglas, Rock Creek, Obermeyer, Hart, Shilen, Kreiger, Brux, Broughton....They're all excellent quality barrels.

Have you talked with Browning about your troubles with this rifle?
I have heard that they have excellent customer service. And like you said, most bolt action Brownings shoot very well so their quality control must be top notch as well.
I would start there before ordering a new barrel.
It's surprising b/c all of my Brownings stacked them in there @ 100 in nice cloverleafs.

well almost $1000 check here Hart Rifle Barrels. $700 for barrel and action 120 for flute who wants a plain barrel and a brake, yeah $1000. I did check Kreiger couldn't find browning listed. Also PacNor but don't know enough about barrels to know if there any good. I've got 473 rounds through this one ,tried H1000 RL22 RL25 H4831 50BMG IMR4350. bullets Barns 200TSH Nosler 200 part sierra200 HPBTM 185 BergerVLD .Just tried 175 sierra HPBTM got a chipmunk at 99yrds so maybe they'll shoot. If this gun has a sweet spot I can't find it. I've screwed that BOSS from one end to the other.I have a Leupold 8.5-25 LRT scope,don't think its that.Only shoot reloads don't think Browning will like that, but maybe they won't say anything about that. Only thing I see maybe screwed is my chamber length in .221 past max length.

Check these out. Incredible barrels for the price....XX Match Air-Gauged and hand-selected and guaranteed within 0.0001". Now that's alot of barrel for the money. Plus, my smith said that they're about the only manufacturer that offers a lifetime warranty on their barrels...Provided it hasn't been abused and mistreated.

"AIR-GAUGED" PREMIUM BARREL | Brownells

You can always have it fluted and chambered by your smith, and it will save you some money. These barrels will shoot lights out, as long as your smith does his part.

I've had Douglas on another rifle (that is no longer in my possession, thanks to a thief), and fixing to put another one of these on my A-Bolt II 7Mag.

.7mm-9 Twist, S/S : "AIR-GAUGED" PREMIUM BARREL | Brownells

What caliber are you wanting to go with? .30, 7mm, .257, 260, .243, .338?

I like 300 win mag thats what this one is. Bad part is I bought a cheapo Rem. at a garage sale for 200$ shoots almost as good. This is my first Browning,thought I did good maybe I just got a bad one.I will check some of those places out you mentioned.I like the gun, just think it should shoot better for what I payed.thanks again for the info.

If the Rem is a 700, I'll be more than happy to give you your money back for it, if you don't want it...

Also, for a .300 WM, I'd go with a 1:10 twist barrel, that way you can shoot the heavies and the lights.

nope model 710 cheapo like I said,even came with a quality bushnell on it. That browning does have 1-10 twist, but seems to like the lighter ones,I wanted to shoot 200's but cant get em to fly. My wife is REALLY getting tired of hearing that gun. I want to try the 175gr have to wait till she 's not around. Maybe they'll shoot ok

I've got a Douglas air gauged XX on a 6.5mm/06. It copper fouls quickly. Shoots alright, I guess. But I have others, with other manufactures' barrels (Harts, Kriegers, Brux), that are definately more accurate and easier to clean , to boot!

nope model 710 cheapo like I said,even came with a quality bushnell on it. That browning does have 1-10 twist, but seems to like the lighter ones,I wanted to shoot 200's but cant get em to fly. My wife is REALLY getting tired of hearing that gun. I want to try the 175gr have to wait till she 's not around. Maybe they'll shoot ok
I hear those rare package deal bushnells are becoming more and more scarce.....Better hang on to that one, I heard they were fetching around a whole $50.00 these days...

:D

I've got a Douglas air gauged XX on a 6.5mm/06. It copper fouls quickly. Shoots alright, I guess. But I have others, with other manufactures' barrels (Harts, Kriegers, Brux), that are definately more accurate and easier to clean , to boot!
I didn't ever have any copper fouling problems with mine....Hmmm, maybe I got a good one. But I honestly don't think my smith would steer me wrong. He's a good old guy and been smithing for years. I'd love to get a Rock Creek 5R .284 1:9, but I hear the wait times are kinda long...

I didn't ever have any copper fouling problems with mine....Hmmm, maybe I got a good one. But I honestly don't think my smith would steer me wrong. He's a good old guy and been smithing for years. I'd love to get a Rock Creek 5R .284 1:9, but I hear the wait times are kinda long...
Lead times for any premium barrel aren't what they used to be. Order now for hunting season 2014, so you don't get disappointed!

I had my A-Bolt rebarreled and remember the only issue was the wrench used to remove the barrel. My smith had to buy a new one but is was $30 if I remember correctly. My original barrel was a 22" plus BOSS in 22-250. The brake was too loud so I had a Kreiger #5 with 1:9 twist installed and have been happy since. Shoots great and I am pleased.

Nice thread gents! I have been feeling bad sense I was told about stocks cracking (synthetic) and could of did alot better for same or less money. Read the 12 pages and seems like the local gun shop took me. Wanted to build accurate LRH rifle that would put meat in freezer for my 6yr. son and I. But now after accident I am disabled so don't make the big bucks anymore. My Brownie is the .338wm w/BOSS and NIB for 10 yrs. now. What is the smart thing to do with it now? I have a Rem. 700/270win and a Savage 06 Spring. The 270 has wooden thumbhole stock and 06 is synthetic. I don't know what to do now, want to start learning to reload so have most things but ordered Forster Press and have old Redding beam scale so need good digital scale. Can't afford much so may need to trade or sell depends on what this board says as I don't know, wish I had knowledge in this.
>
Thanks, JASTECH

Just a quick question for those in the A-Bolt community.....I have a 7mm RemMag as you all know.....Is it possible for me to buy a Browning A-Bolt 300 RUM magainze and use snap it directly onto my floorplate, that would allow me to mazimize my 7mm RemMag loads on out to full COL's where I could run my hunting loads on out to where they're most accurate, but it would still be a repeater...