Anybody useing Krieger barrels ? / opponions on them ??

James Jones

I have noticed that their arn't to many guys here that are shooting Krieger barrels , juts wondering if their was any reason.
I talked to one of their Tech Reps today for a while and they sound as good or better than all the other top end tubes but I'm guessing that anybody that works their isin't gonna bad mouth their products so I was looking for some realy world results and thoughts on how they compair to Hart,Rock and Broughton?

Krieger barrels are top notch. Very well made and machine nicely. I have built several rifles with them and all shot fantastic.

I have 3 riles with Kreiger barrels and they shoot .4 moa are under one in 30-06,one in 270 Win,one in 338 Win Mag They are cut rifled hand lapped barrels I have been very satisfied with them

JDJones,

I have used a few of these barrels when customers request and have full confidence in their quality. If a rifle fitted with a Krieger barrel does not shoot well, it is not the fault of the barrel.

That said, I use Lilja barrels simply because from my experience they are at least the full equal as the Kriegers and don;t take nearly as long to get in from order.

If your looking for a top grade barrel you will not go wrong with choosing a Krieger barrel.

Can;t comment on the barrel life as I do not have a Krieger on any of my personal rifles or handguns, all Liljas.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I have a Kreiger palma barrel on one of my 300 RUM's that was originally chambered in 308. I had an inch taken off each end and rechambered to the RUM, it had about 350rds as a 308 and now has over 500rds as a RUM and it's as good as any barrel I've used. As a longrange hunting rifle ( 13#'s ) it will shoot 1/2moa to 1000yds ( 3 shots ) if I do my part.
Wayne

[ QUOTE ]
I have noticed that their arn't to many guys here that are shooting Krieger barrels , juts wondering if their was any reason.
I talked to one of their Tech Reps today for a while and they sound as good or better than all the other top end tubes but I'm guessing that anybody that works their isin't gonna bad mouth their products so I was looking for some realy world results and thoughts on how they compair to Hart,Rock and Broughton?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where you been looking???

Kreiger has the longest backlog in the industry -- someone is using them!

Worked for me so far -- have a 5.3" 10-shot group at 1K and a 1.350 5shot group at 500M under its belt so far.

honestly, you cant go wrong with any mentioned so far /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

YMMV,
JB

Have been using a Krieger barrel in .30-06 for F Class Competition for 2 years now. Great barrel.

Don

[ QUOTE ]
Have been using a Krieger barrel in .30-06 for F Class Competition for 2 years now. Great barrel.

Don

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY DON!!! Welcome buddy!!

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
Kreiger makes excellent barrels. However, in my opinion they are a bit on the soft side and wear out a bit faster than others.

[/ QUOTE ]Chris Matthews, I would like to get more of your reasoning on this topic because my gunsmith talked me into a Kreiger 3 groove 1-10" on my 338 MOAG because (he said a cut rifled barrel from Krieger would maintain it's throat longer than a standard button rifled barrel) so far I really cant say because there are only 400 rounds down it ,but I think I will like Kreiger more than most.
B

[ QUOTE ]
HEY DON!!! Welcome buddy!!

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Jason. Don't know how much I can contribute to this site, since I don't do any long range hunting, but I do have an opinion or two about long range shooting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Don

I talk to a guy at Krieger for a while the other day about their barrels and how they differed from others. He said that the cut rifled barrels will generaly last a little longer due to the grooves being cut into the steel and not forced out of the way , he told me that if you looked at a buttoned barrel under a HIGH power bore scope that you could see what looked like small cracks that were made from the stress of the button. It sounded like it made sense to me , one point for Krieger. He also said that their basic price list covered a very wide rage of things that could be changed like their fluting they normaly use 10 - 3/16 flutes cut .040" deep but said that they would cut pretty much what ever I wanted so long as it was safe but would not go any deeper to the bore than .196" makes sense not to go to deep all at no extra cost , another point for Krieger
I also asked about the differance between a SS barrel and chromemoly tube as far as barrel life , he mentioned that the SS is a bit softer than the CM but that as long as you kept them both clean and not abused the CM that you would get just as long barrel life from the CM as the SS

I'm not totaly sold yet on them I want to talk to Mike Rock a little bit more about his process and his style flutes before I commit to one maker , he supposidly flutes his barrels before their are ever cut rifled which seems like it would make for a good stress free barrel?

I did talk to Broughton barrels and diden't realy feel like the person I was talking to realy know what they were talking about , I guess it was a secretary can't blame her.

BUT , like the man said Broughton is one of the winningist barrels going right now and that a hard fact to beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.