270cal 150gr VLD anybody use them?

mitchell

well long story short i ordered a 7mm STW barrel and when it arrived the other day i received a 270 STW. well instead of sending it back and waiting on my barrel i just ordered an other 7mm STW and kept the 270 too.

i had plans on using the 7mm STW on elk this year so now the 270 STW will have to fill the slot. has anybody shot the 150gr VLD? I'm hoping to send it at about 3300 do you think they will hold together ? or should i just try nosler partition ?

also anybody with any experience with the 270 STW I'd love to hear what worked for you.

thanks

I would think you could push the 150 Berger past the edge but the new 170gr Berger EOL bullet coming soon could be absolute dynamite, or the 165 and 175 Matrix ballistics bullets should do awesome as well, it may be possible to out shoot the 7mm with the 270 due to better bullets!

Keep us up on what you do with this, I haven't seen much if anything on a 270 STW but it is interesting. I've been looking for the ideal way to push these bullet just a bit faster than my WSM will and the STW may have some merit.

I have a box of 150 vld I have pushed to 3150 in my 270 amp but I still have most of the same box just bought them while waiting for some 169.5 wildcats.
they held at that speed I also have used matrix 165 I really like them my twist is a little faster than 1:9 also the wildcat is great if you can get them.looking forward to the burger 170 was dissapointed with the BC on the 150 vld compared to matrix & wildcats

I just bought a used 270 STW and it came w/ 150 rds loaded w/ 80 gr of IMR 7828 pushing the 150 Partitions at 3450 fps as the load data says. It was not hot as I fired one to see, but did not chrony. I have a few 150 Bergers I was going to try and also have some 165 Matrix that I will be loading soon. Thinking of starting out at 75 gr of Retumbo.

Me thinks a 130 accubond or sierra pushed with rl25 or retumbo would do over 3500 fps easily and get there quick!!! I've been shooting the 7stw for better than ten years and they really shine on 140 grain pills. I've been working with 171's(barnes match) lately, but the jury is still out on that one. A 130 in a 270 is almost indentical ballistically to a 140 in 7mm. I've seen 700 yard kills from kneeling-no rest from my father with one using 140 grain sierra pro-hunter bullets in his 7stw. Don't let the flat base fool ya, they get out there very well. I've done the same with my old 7mm ultra with 140 sierra's; 600-700 yard kills(I shoot from sitting with no rest).

I have good success with the 165 matrix shooting at 1/2" at 200 yds w/ 78 gr Retumbo out of my 270 STW. Not sure of the speed though, I have some loaded at 79 & 80 to test but haven't been out with it yet. I have tried the 150 Bergers but haven't found the right load yet.

I have killed several whitetails with a 150 Berger VLD from my 270. Excellent performance.

Doe1.jpg

Doe4.jpg

Kydeer20102.jpg

2010KYbuck.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.