Any thoughts on Leupold VX-6

novaman64

Did some searching and havent heard a whole lot about these scope. The 6x magnification looks like it would make it a great scope for a all around mountain rifle. I am thinking about putting one on my new 280ai build. Was looking at the 3-18x44. Low power would be great for the heavily wooded areas, should be able to get on target fast and the 18 on the high end would be great for the longer out stuff. Its fairly light too...

I was thinking just like you are. I had the chance to compare the VX6 against many other similar power range scopes, I unfortunately was totally disappointed with the Leupold especially compared to Vortex. For half the money my new rifle is wearing a vortex. I also had the wife review all the scopes and she is very uneducated about brands and cost, with her the Leupold came in dead last and she asked me not to put "that one" on her new custom. She liked the Vortex and Zeiss equally well.

I was thinking just like you are. I had the chance to compare the VX6 against many other similar power range scopes, I unfortunately was totally disappointed with the Leupold especially compared to Vortex. For half the money my new rifle is wearing a vortex. I also had the wife review all the scopes and she is very uneducated about brands and cost, with her the Leupold came in dead last and she asked me not to put "that one" on her new custom. She liked the Vortex and Zeiss equally well.

Just the clarity of the glass?

I have the VX6 in 3X - 18X by 50mm mounted on my 26 Nosler. Hunted deer with it this last Fall north of Spokane Washington. You need a relatively low power to get on moving deer in those woods. I also wanted enough power to see bullet holes at 200 yards when at the range and for the occasional long range shot. The scope is compact, has 20 MOA dial up per revolution and a nice pop up reset to zero under a low profile covered turret. It fits the theme of my Sako 26 Nosler which is one of my lighter rifles. I have a bunch of scopes to compare this scope to including a relatively new Viper PST in 6X by 24X. Optically the Leupold VX6 is better than most of them and it is noticeable when switching between rifles. I rate it optically similar to the Viper PST. The Viper is sitting on a 7mm WSM which I keep stoked with 180 Bergers. It is a heavier rifle oriented more toward intermediate and long range - thus the exposed turrets and a bit more power on the high end. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those scopes. I had some rings break on me once and Leupold customer service was very good (new rings sent, no questions asked). I don't know about Vortex customer service.

Hunted deer with it this last Fall north of Spokane Washington.

The scope is compact, has 20 MOA dial up per revolution and a nice pop up reset to zero under a low profile covered turret. Viper PST.

- thus the exposed turrets and a bit more power on the high end. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those scopes.

I think they still come with one free custom turret.

Next year call me, I'll put on some coffee!

I picked up one and got lucky, apparently. Mine is better optically than everything I have compared it with at the range. That would include Vortex, Swarovski, Bushnell, and Weaver.

OP, It looks like a trip to the big gun store is in order. I think the choice will be clear.:D

I tried a 3-18x44 with a cds moa turret for a while on my 7mm/338 norma improved.
Didnt like the long taper on the front bell, fine if you use a rail but other wise it limits the mounting position.(see pic) The magnification was very stiff to wind on, even on warm days and the reticle was a little off and didn't dial true to the verticle post. The clicks are just ok, bit soft for my liking but it was repeatable. Its been replaced.
IMG_0060_zpsa16d60e9.jpg

The VX-6 glass is better than the Viper PST, but it's also more expensive. The dials are what I'm not impressed with as they are a little mushy but it's not designed to be a tactical scope and works better once the CDS is installed. Not sure what the other guy was looking at when he said the PST had better glass but I don't think that is the case putting them both on 16x in low light. Ask an optics retailer who sells both what his opinion is.
I was going back & forth with the Zeiss HD5 3-15x or the VX-6 but the HD5 was a bit limited on elevation per turn and virtually none with stops in.
The PST does have FFP that both the HD5 & VX-6 don't have as options. Personally I'm not a huge fan of 2nd focal plane scopes that have a ballistic hold over reticle as it changes with the power setting so I generally dial and prefer a crosshair with a SFP, but in a FFP like a ranging reticle like the Vortex EBR-1.

More discussion in this thread
NF 3.5-15 or VX6 3-18? - PredatorMasters Forums

The VX-6 glass is better than the Viper PST, but it's also more expensive. The dials are what I'm not impressed with as they are a little mushy but it's not designed to be a tactical scope and works better once the CDS is installed. Not sure what the other guy was looking at when he said the PST had better glass but I don't think that is the case putting them both on 16x in low light. Ask an optics retailer who sells both what his opinion is.
I was going back & forth with the Zeiss HD5 3-15x or the VX-6 but the HD5 was a bit limited on elevation per turn and virtually none with stops in.
The PST does have FFP that both the HD5 & VX-6 don't have as options. Personally I'm not a huge fan of 2nd focal plane scopes that have a ballistic hold over reticle as it changes with the power setting so I generally dial and prefer a crosshair with a SFP, but in a FFP like a ranging reticle like the Vortex EBR-1.

More discussion in this thread
NF 3.5-15 or VX6 3-18? - PredatorMasters Forums

Thanks for the link, good read. Sounds like on that sight the glass is good peoples biggest complaint is mushy clicks. As far as the long taper on the front bell and mounting, I am running a rail s that should be much of a problem. Gonna have to head to a store and compare the Leupold to some other scopes I guess and see if I can deal with the mushy clicks and for my own opinion on the glass....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.