Any smiths with experience in custom seater die reaming?

HoytFlinger

I have a Wilson chamber type seater die blank and will have my reamer in a few weeks. Any smiths on here have experience in reaming Wilson chamber type seater dies?

I have a Wilson chamber type seater die blank and will have my reamer in a few weeks. Any smiths on here have experience in reaming Wilson chamber type seater dies?
Any 'smith worth his buisness card should be able to ream your seater die with your reamer. As long as he chucks your seater die in a lathe headstock then shims/adjusts for perfect centering, your reamer will make a chamber in it close enough to what it would make in a rifle barrel. Seating die chambers don't have to have the same dimensions as barrel chambers; close is good enough.

Your reamer will have a pilot on it that should be the exact bore diameter of the barrel it'll chamber. If that pilot's diameter is larger than the hole in the reamer blank (surely there is one), then either your reamer pilot has to be changed or the die's hole reamed out.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.