any smiths not super busy?

Ridge Runner

Last fall I had a smith set the barrel back and install a holland brake on my 6.5 gibbs, all was well till I went to remove the brake this week, put a rod through it and smacked it with my palm and the barrel came loose, so tightened up my barrel, now the holes in the top of the brake are at 11:30, so who would be interested in indexing a brake for me? Thanks,
RR

Did you get the brake off or is it locked fast? It's a pretty quick turn around job. I'm swamped but can turn something like that around in about a week.

no its off, after the barrel broke loose, I held the barrel with my hands and the mrs broke the brake loose, was amazed that my rounds still chambered after tightening the barrel.
RR

No big deal to fix---just get a barrel vise and an action wrench. I switch tubes all of the time on some of my competition rifles.

I don't believe it's the barrel he needs put back on, it's that now that Ridge Runner has tightened the barrel up the brake is cockeyed. The muzzle brake tennon shoulder will need almost a full revolution set back to align the top holes top dead center.

Unless this has a barrel nut how could someone move the barrel that far?

edge.

Unless this has a barrel nut how could someone move the barrel that far?

edge.

this clown, set the barrel back and it wouldn't index tightened, instead of fixing it he just left it snug then installed the brake, so once the barrel was tightened, the barrel isn't indexed nor is the brake timed.

so smiths, what is the torgue specs for a 700 barrel if any? gonna try to get the data down to get some money back from the guy, if possible.
RR

Kevin---correct---did not read close enough. If the tube was not tightened then the OP is screwed and will have to get a GOOD SMITH to fix it!

Have good offers from folks here to fix the problem----if I were the OP I would consider the person who did the work a blacksmith and never grace his doorway again.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.