Any new ultra light scopes?

snox801

I know this has come up a time or two but as we all know things change fast. So I have my lightweight 6.5 Creed I use for hunting. But the 6.5 I built my father is a bit heavy for a 70 years old to carry through the mountains.
So I just purchased a how's mini action 6.5 Grendel and am sending it to twisted to have him cut down to 16" and take all the weight he can off.
My father doesn't shoot past 300 yards so I will be using the hammer 99gr and looking for a lightweight scope. I like the 2-10 or similar. I know 3-9 will work but I'd like a bit more lower and upper power but not needed any 2-10 that will be in the park of a light weight 3-9?
Thanks

13.5-16.5 oz depending on model
I wish leupold hadn't discontinued their ultralight 3-9, my scope (9 oz) and mount only weigh 12 ounces total.

Last edited:
The Leupold is out at that weight as the z5 is lighter and better glass. I would be will to do a 3-9 if the weight was that much lighter like 10oz.
How do you think that swfa would be for hunting. Low light situations? That looks like the ticket if it has decent glass may even have to get more than one and replace some other scopes

I have a Howa mini Action in 6.5 and recoil is negligible. Still eye relief is important especially with a smaller scope with ring placement and length. Anybody handled one?

Vortex HD LH...I have 3 and going to purchase another soon...light weight and good glass.....love 'em!

I'm really not much of a Vortex fan, but I also have three of the Razor HD LH 3-15x42 scopes and they are a great little LW scope. My only complaint with them is the clicks are a little on the mushy soft side, but I use these for hold over shooting, not dialing, so it's pretty much a non issue for me.

If 'maximum' range expectation is 300 yards and you want light weight with high reliability, consider a fixed power scope. Weaver makes a 4X38mm (model 849415) that weighs 9.9 ounces. They make a 6X38mm (model 849418) that is 9.8 ounces. Both can be had for about $200 (give or take) online and have a lifetime warranty and have been tested for 10,000 rounds of .375 H&H magnum, so they should hold up just fine on a 6.5 Grendel build.

Want to spend more money and say you 'own a Leupold'? Consider the FX-II 4X33mm (SKU 58550) which weighs 9.3 ounces (264 grams.) Or there is the Leupold FX-II 6X36mm (SKU 58830) which weighs 10 ounces (284 grams.) There is an FX-3 series as well, but they are more expensive.

Benefits of "fixed" power scopes are greater reliability, less weight, and less cost with fewer lenses in the tube and fewer moving parts internally as well as fewer 'openings' that need to be sealed. Plus they are dead simple - put crosshair on target and pull trigger. Additionally, there is no chance the scope gets 'accidentally' left on 9X when a deer jumps 20 feet in front of your father. Sometimes, simple is best. And in this case, a fixed power would be just the ticket. Light is right.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.