Any hoby knife makers

A few years ago I was looking through some of my unused tools kinda cleaning out some room. I found an old file that was my dad's (he passed when I was young) the thing was pretty useless, I remember getting chewed out for using it to cut on pennies and plugging it up. I didn't want to get rid of it, but couldn't bring myself to clean out the copper to make it usefull.

I decided to try and make a knife with it so it would be something functional that I could use to make some memories with.

Enter Google, I did quite a bit of research and made a plan. Using a couple fire bricks I made a small forge and anealed the file so it would be workable. I drew a pattern and transferred it to the blank. Then using a hacksaw, angle grinder, file and drill shaped the blade and tang. With the forge and some oil I tempered the blade. Next I did a 2 stage heat treat in the oven. I have no idea what the actual hardness is, it is hell to get sharp, but will hold that edge for a long time. I cut up an old shed for the scales and used brass pins to hold it together.

I really enjoyed the project and have used the new knife on multiple deer. Something I never got to do with my father.

Sorry for the long story. Please share your homemade cutting tools. Thanks.
G
20171231_130343.jpg
20171231_130428.jpg
20171231_130610.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts