Any good 80 lb bows come out recently?

I just happened to shoot a Phase 4 and a Lift today @ 70 lbs. They are both nice bows. The biggest thing I noticed was how quiet they are. Just getting back into bowhunting after a few year hiatus. My old bow I sold this past fall was a Z7 Extreme. They have come a long way. I believe the Lift is .5 lbs lighter a little under 4 lbs.
The new bows are light years ahead of the z7 and the z7 was an awesome bow.

I got a Mathew's VXR 28 and I've shot 70 lb mods on it. However I just got a set of the 75 lb mods and it's a noticeable difference in trajectory…but I haven't noticed too much in terms of it feeling heavier to draw. I feel like if you can shoot it accurately and handle it, go for it.

Just purchased Mathews Lift 33 with 80lb mods and upgraded grip. It is slightly slower than my 80lb Obsession FX6, however much less angry on the release, quieter and lighter. Shot back to back with PSE Mach 34 set at 80lbs. Mach 34 was super smooth draw, but slightly slower than Lift 33. Just couldn't give up the speed difference going from FX6 to Mach 34. Will be fun to stretch out to 80+ yds target shooting and see how the Lift 33 performs.

Just purchased Mathews Lift 33 with 80lb mods and upgraded grip. It is slightly slower than my 80lb Obsession FX6, however much less angry on the release, quieter and lighter. Shot back to back with PSE Mach 34 set at 80lbs. Mach 34 was super smooth draw, but slightly slower than Lift 33. Just couldn't give up the speed difference going from FX6 to Mach 34. Will be fun to stretch out to 80+ yds target shooting and see how the Lift 33 performs.
Very interested in how it performs. Draw length? Arrow weight? Speed?

I promise, I'm not saying this in a smart as* way.
I shoot 80 cause I can. Like I curl 70 lbs as a work out and bench over 300. Not trying to show off, but to answer the question in context. It's not hard for me, especially these new modern ones like my bowtech…it draws suppper smooth and faster than my last Hoyt.

Now as to the advantage, I've shot a 70 for many years. My issue as a western hunter who does a lot of backpack archery (otc non resident tags) is wind actually. Shots are just longer. Doesn't matter how good you are at stalking, sometimes 65y is the best you'll do when that buck is surrounded by 7 doe or it's that last day of elk and that bull is standing in the open country grassy wallows.

The extra poundage allows me to shoot a heavier arrow to resist wind and wind drag at longer distances. I have a medium draw I think, 28.5, but I know guys that use higher poundage to make up for shorter draw lengths as well. The secondary benefit is the KE regarding impact and penetration at those distances.
"Bench over 300..."

So are talking a 305 lb bench press, or a 395 lb bench press? There's a huge difference :)

I shoot an 80lb draw because it is comfortable for me to draw. I can shoot 3 dozen arrows in a practice session without becoming exhausted.

I hunt open country where longer shots are typical. I target practice out to 100yds. A 60yd shot feels comfortable in hunting conditions. I like having the option to pound a broadhead through an elk shoulder blade if that is the only shot presented.

If hunting smaller critters from tree stand, blind or brushy country I would certainly drop back to 65-70lbs.

I realize my 80lb days are probably numbered as I approach my mid 50s. The option to reduce draw weight with mods was another reason the Lift 33 was appealing.

"Bench over 300..."

So are talking a 305 lb bench press, or a 395 lb bench press? There's a huge difference :)
As if it matters, I 1 rep max somewhere about 360 depending on the week. I try to stay double my body weight when training.

As if it matters, I 1 rep max somewhere about 360 depending on the week. I try to stay double my body weight when training.
I am happy just getting 3x10 reps at my body weight of 240lbs! No danger I am going to 1X rep 480!

A lot of it seems to be conditioning with the bow. If I haven't shot much through the winter drawing 80lb is an effort. I might start with 12-18 arrows per session and work my way back up to 3 dozen arrows per session over the course of 6 weeks.

I bought my FX6 at 80lb just to see if I could do it before old age kicked in. Figured I would hunt with my 70lb bow, but just couldn't put the FX6 down. Really never shot the 70lb bow again. Just kept it as my backup bow.

My 70lb bow feels like a 300WM. My 80lb bow feels like a 300NMI. Is it too much? Almost certainly! Very rarely do I actually need the additional performance, but I just feel better knowing it is there if I need it.

In the end, shot placement is the critical factor....rifle or bow. An 80lb bow doesn't make a terrible shot good.

I am happy just getting 3x10 reps at my body weight of 240lbs! No danger I am going to 1X rep 480!

A lot of it seems to be conditioning with the bow. If I haven't shot much through the winter drawing 80lb is an effort. I might start with 12-18 arrows per session and work my way back up to 3 dozen arrows per session over the course of 6 weeks.

I bought my FX6 at 80lb just to see if I could do it before old age kicked in. Figured I would hunt with my 70lb bow, but just couldn't put the FX6 down. Really never shot the 70lb bow again. Just kept it as my backup bow.

My 70lb bow feels like a 300WM. My 80lb bow feels like a 300NMI. Is it too much? Almost certainly! Very rarely do I actually need the additional performance, but I just feel better knowing it is there if I need it.

In the end, shot placement is the critical factor....rifle or bow. An 80lb bow doesn't make a terrible shot good.
My point was not only am I not going to injure myself at 80 lbs, but it's easy for me; regardless of time off, or position I'm shooting from.

Like if they made micro diameter arrows ( my preference) with that spine more commonly made and easy to get, and bows had more options in 90, I would do that. Because I can.

Shot placement is always a factor but if you're going to be shooting 80-100+ yards, there's more to it than shot placement. That mountain wind can take an arrow and move it without having some *** behind it.

Too heavy an arrow, with to light a draw weight, length or speed, you won't have the distance before your arrow hits the sight housing,

A lot of speed and no weight, your arrow blows in the wind; and your foc is off. Plus penetration is reduced greatly. My goal is two holes…I'm of a mind that that increases recovery dramatically regardless of distance, or shot placement.

My point was not only am I not going to injure myself at 80 lbs, but it's easy for me; regardless of time off, or position I'm shooting from.

Like if they made micro diameter arrows ( my preference) with that spine more commonly made and easy to get, and bows had more options in 90, I would do that. Because I can.

Shot placement is always a factor but if you're going to be shooting 80-100+ yards, there's more to it than shot placement. That mountain wind can take an arrow and move it without having some *** behind it.

Too heavy an arrow, with to light a draw weight, length or speed, you won't have the distance before your arrow hits the sight housing,

A lot of speed and no weight, your arrow blows in the wind; and your foc is off. Plus penetration is reduced greatly. My goal is two holes…I'm of a mind that that increases recovery dramatically regardless of distance, or shot placement.
Yep.

You are definitely at a level above me which was my only point in replying to your response. I have to work at it to comfortably draw an 80lb bow.

Recent Posts