Any 338 Federal bolt gunners here?

bamban

Hunting season is yet to start, I am looking ahead as to what projects to do when the season ends.

In the queue are:

1. Carbon Six 20 inch 300WM suppressed with AAC Titan QD, .338 can

2. 300WSM AR10, 18 inch

Since the Titan is a 338 can, thoughts crossed my mind to do a 20 inch 338 Federal. No experience with one on bolt guns. The cartridge worked real well in the M14/M1A platform. Spun a barrel for a friend when he came over for a visit. He stayed till after we tested and zeroed his rifle. I did my 1st and last M14/M1A barrel from a blank, too much work. Thus, I am leaning towards a bolt gun.

Please chime in and let me know your personal experience about the not so popular 338 Federal....looking for the good, the bad, and the ugly about

My wife loves hers for elk and black bear. Rem700,22" CF stock w/ brake. super easy to load for. bullets can be a bit challenging to find at times, but this is a pure hunting rig so I don't need a lot

I just love mine.
I have two Kimber's that I cut to 20'' BTW
One is a select and the other a Montana

As luck would have it, one loves 210 siroccos which I have five of left and one loves the 160 ttsx.
Performance on a few deer left alarming blood trails.
Black bear with the 160's was excellent but close range measured in feet!

I just ordered some 175 HH for it and a .338RCM going to build next.

My wife loves hers for elk and black bear. Rem700,22" CF stock w/ brake. super easy to load for. bullets can be a bit challenging to find at times, but this is a pure hunting rig so I don't need a lot

Details on ammo?

Last year, though I did not have a 338 Fed I bought these on a great price. They should work well on hogs and short range WTs.

Screenshot_20221025-084856_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20221025-085558_Gmail.jpg

Any of you guys have any experience with them?

My buddy with the 338 Fed M1A launches these faster than the 175s in a 308 Win in his other M1A.