any 8mag fans here

lloydsmale

Ive got an old bdl that was out of the first run rem made of them. It was my brother in laws and i got it when he was killed in a car wreck so it has some sentimental value to me. Its a good shooting rilfe. Its easily moa at a 100 yards. I fitted it into a a cdl stock because i just dont like the feel of bdls. Only thing ive killed with it is whitetail does doing crop damage shooting but have shot them as far out as 400 yards. Ive used both 200 grain partitions and 220 sierras in it. Both are devestating on deer and leave exit wounds you could put your fist threw. I once piled up 4 deer about as quick as i could shoot at 250 yards with it. All 4 dropped in there tracks but I was about deaf for a couple days. I really like this old gun and like the caliber and was wondering if theres any other fans here.

I am with you, it is a fine caliber, a friend of mine had one years ago and it was a fine rifle and would destroy a whitetail with the Remington green and yellows. I would love to have one, but they are all gone for the most part, I haven't seen one since. With the bullets and powder available now, it would definely shine. I guess I will have to build one to get it and may just do that one day.
I own a 8mm Mauser and it will hammer a deer with 180gr. Ballistic tips, but loses steam quick past 200 yards. Be sure to keep it because they are rare.
FE

I will jump in here and add that is indeed a fine caliber, and I still can not figure out why it did not catch on. I did shoot one years ago, at my gun club. One of the members was sighting it in to go on a bear hunt. ( later found out he was successful). Craig Boddington has nothing but praises for them, and owns several of them. ( who would want to own several guns in that same caliber?) ha ha .
Believe it or not, if I was to run into one, I would buy it. The ballistics on those bullets is amazing. The only prob is bullet avail. I even have some brass for it, don't know why!
I HEAR ya about the going deaf part! They are every bit as loud as my 300 RUM. Recoil was in your face, but manageable. Not nice from a bench too many times. Nice ballistics, rare guns!

I also have one from a long time ago. I was digging in my cabinet and found 5 boxes of 200 gr Partitions - a life time worth. I played with some of the old 250 gr Barnes copper tubing bullets with a pile of H870. I don't remember anything about that load except it was uncomfortable to shoot. The 200 Partition shot really well.

Dan

I have had one for about 20 years, and it shoots very well. It is glass bedded. I loaded it with 200 gr. partitions, hauled it to CO several times, but never took an elk with it. Unfortunately, the .338 Mag popularity fazed it out. I am clearing out my guns, would sell it. Anyone interested, PM me at [email protected] for pics.

I had one for a while and it was very accurate but at that time the only bullet that would take it's velocity was a Nosler 190 grain bullet the rest available were designed for the 8 mauser. I sold it in favor of a 338 but if I could find one I wouldn't hesitate on buying it as I have about 5 boxes of brand new brass just sitting here waiting! We all wish we had a rifle or two back that we have sold or traded away in the past now don't we?

:)

I had one for a while and it was very accurate but at that time the only bullet that would take it's velocity was a Nosler 190 grain bullet the rest available were designed for the 8 mauser. I sold it in favor of a 338 but if I could find one I wouldn't hesitate on buying it as I have about 5 boxes of brand new brass just sitting here waiting! We all wish we had a rifle or two back that we have sold or traded away in the past now don't we?

:)

Oh boy, do we ever!!!!

Yes, I have a factory BDL in 8RM. Just in the process of restocking it with a Boyds laminate, pillar bedding and cerakoting.

Got a life time supply of bullets and brass too :D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.