Any 250 Savage fans?

shimoda

I just fell into a sweet deal on an unfired Rem 700 classic in 250 Savage and had to buy it. Never owned a .25 cal other than an old 25-20
I just ordered dies and brass and am looking for some load, bullet recomendations.
I'm looking for a varmint/ target load, and a deer/ pronghorn load

Thanks, sam

I just fell into a sweet deal on an unfired Rem 700 classic in 250 Savage and had to buy it. Never owned a .25 cal other than an old 25-20
I just ordered dies and brass and am looking for some load, bullet recomendations.
I'm looking for a varmint/ target load, and a deer/ pronghorn load

Thanks, sam

I shoot a 1917 Savage 99 takedown in 250-3000. It is a family hand-me down from my grandmother. My whole family has learned to shoot with it. It's taken countless deer. I'll pass it to my kids when they are old enough.

In the bolt action the little 250 can be loaded up to shoot in the 2800-2900 fps range with 100gr bullets , the trouble is that the case has bad streaching issues. If your not worried about keeping the gun natural I'd have the barrel set back a little and rechambered to 250 Ackley this is a very impressive little round , in a 24" barrel it can easly be hand loaded to shoot with and alot of time faster than the 25-06 factory ammo , 3100fps is easly doable with 100gr Ballistic tips and 3500fps with the 75gr varmint bullets pluss your brass will las ALOT longer.

I shoot the .250SAI in a XP-100...awesome little cartridge! I'm getting 2700fps from 100gr SMK's...but I've also only got a 15" barrel.

Thanks guys
The AI sounds good. I already bought dies for factory chamber and with a couple of other projects in the works I don't need any other smith bills right now.
I was hoping for a place to start that has worked well for others. I haven't loaded with alot of different powders or for many different cartridges [270, 7mag, 3006].

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.