Another which scope question

snox801

so I was just informed this week my looooooong awaited.375 AM will be finished soon. This is a turn key unit so I'm down to needing a scope. So I thought I wanted the nightforce atacr 7-35 ffp but now I'm wondering is that what I really need or just want. Could save a decent amount of money with the sfp 5-25 just kinda leaning towards more zoom than less. Just never had a ffp scope and always plan to dial my shots. Any advice? I should just spend the extra money cause it's gonna be my dream rifle. You know the one you know in your heart you won't shoot a lot but decided to spend a stupid amount on and wait 4 years. Lol

I have an athlon Cronus. Pretty impressive scope. Has all the features of a vortex razor but about 750 cheaper. I would seriously consider the requirements you are looking for as laid out by THEIS, make a decision from there.

Everything @THEIS said. Add to it
Focal plane.

I usually don't like FFP because at high magnifications it obscures so much of the target. Counter that with the very fine etched glass reticlas that you can see through the etching. The new Sig is nice that way. It's a mil/mil scope and I'm old school MAO but the Sig was a very fine scope.

I personally favor heavily toward Sightron. Several 10-15x60 SIII, A 10-50x60 SV, an 8-32x50 SIII a couple 6-24x50s SIIIs. I have one on a 50 DTC/EURO no problems. There is a 5-18 in there as well.

I regularly use my Nightforce NSX 5.5-22 on my 338 Edge to 1000 and beyond. Have used it at the ULRSA events.

A few Leupolds in there too.

With scope choice Focal Plane and retical mean a lot. Try to get some time behind each.

Ok sorry should have stated more. So
I'm most concerned with max power for the longer shots as this really is just a long range toy. So 5 or 7 on the bottom is plenty low. Just not sure about top end magnification between 25 and 35. I would much prefer the 7-35 over 5-25 but that moves me to the ffp. I've never used ffp and won't be able to get enough time at any range to see if I really like it before I have to have it. Don't have many long range options to look through being in Michigan. So I'm trying to figure if the ffp would be good or sfp would be better or sufficient

Hello,
I prefer and suggest the FFP optics..BUT I do that based purely on reticles and not magnification.
In reality you will probably never crank your magnification past 25x for anything further than 1 mile because the mirage is going to eat the magnification. On "great" weather days you would be able to crank up magnification for 1000 yards or such.

The MIL-C reticle in the ATACR has a center dot separated from the "crosshairs" and it works GREAT for ELR shooting. I would not use or suggest ANY other reticle they offer.

The P4F and LLR-MIL reticles in the S&B is my personal reticle of choice.

If this is a rifle for 1000 rounds or less per year than it is probably not worth extra money for FFP no matter the magnification since it will not be used enough for you to "see" the results of the FFP but at the same time lol, if this is your "once in a lifetime" type rifle and you want it to be TOP of the TOPS..then you might as well jump to Hensoldt and call it done :)

THEIS

A lot depends upon where you are going to use your scope. In the desert near Las Vegas, the mirage is brutal 8 to 9 months a year and much past 1,900 yards you'll be dialed down to something close to 15X (at least I do) to see much through the heat waves. I use both FFP (US Optics) and 2FP (Nightforce NSX & ATACR, March, Swarovski) in the desert here. Yes the FFP reticle thickness becomes an issue at distances beyond 1,800-2000+ yards, so you'll learn to use the quadrant system, or not see much of your target (depending upon its size of course). My favorite target is a silouette 15" wide x 24" tall. At 2,000+ yards a thick FFP reticle @ 25X will almost completely obliterate the target from view inside the scope. My newer Nightforce ATACR 5x25 w/ MOAR-T reticle (2FP) is super thin and works great in this situation. If you are not going to be fighting mirage most of the year, or not shooting much beyond 2,000-2,500 yards (these were the distances that convinced me to shift to the MOAR-T reticle), FFP is decent choice. Either way you can make it work. reticle choice seems to be a very personal thing, but there are a bunch of them out there to look at and through.

Jeffvn

If you are building your dream LR rifle....mount your dream LR scope on it. You will be sorry if you go with less. Trust me on that one. You can always dial down to 25x with a 35x scope, but not vice versa.

That being said, I run FFP scopes on all of my rifles with the exception of 2 of my .22LR squirrel getters.

.223 AR has a 3-15x50 Premier Heritage Light Tactical w. Gen 2XR
6.5 SLR has a 6-24x56 Kahles K624i w. SKMR (my favorite reticle I have ever owned so far)
6.5 SS has a S&B PMII 5-25x56 w. H2CMR
.280AI has a 3-15x50 Premier Heritage Light Tactical w. Gen 2XR
7RM has a S&B PMII 3-20x50 w. H2CMR
.300RUM has a 5-25x56 Premier Heritage w. Gen 2XR

The only one that gets really big enough to cover a lot is the S&B PMII 3-20x50. But a great big game hunting optic. The other ones are all fine enough to spot and hold on small game sized targets well past 1400 yards. I just shot a squirrel @ 1201 yards w. my .300RUM pushing a 230 Hybrid @ 3068fps. Probably my best shot made to date. And a bit of luck was involved as well. My spotter said some mighty fine words.

Have you considered the khales k6-24i??
I have 3 of them and love them. Used to be a razor guy but after looking through this scope I had to change them all.
The left windage turret is a great feature and I have them all with the AMR reticle just because it's the first one I tried and has worked for me very well. They might be better choices but if it's working, why fix it??
Love the glass and definitely love the ergonomics.

I will suggest one of the adjustable bases to get you way out there if desired and the March X 8-80x56 scope. Amazing scope that will never leave you short on either end of the power range. March optics are as good as it gets.........Best of luck with your new rifle. I'm sure it will be a beauty..........:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.