Another thread on scope decision... Vortex or leupold

Romero14

After searching and searching here and deciding on the gun I want, I decided on the Browning X-Bolt 6.5 creed topped with a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40. I'm wanting to go to a higher power scope to do a little long range hunting. I have been looking at the current sales and trying to decide which scope to go to. I can get a Vortex Viper HS Long Range 30 mm 4-16x44 for $350 or a Leupold VX-2 4-12X40 Long Range Reticle for $250.

I'll vote for the HSLR, had one in the 4-16x50 with BDC reticle and it was a very good scope that lived on my light 338WM. It survived many high strung 338 rounds and never gave me any issues. The glass is good and turrets were smooth and repeatable.

How is the ease of use when hunting? I've never used a scope with turrets so that would be the first if I purchased it.

the hslr has the bdc reticle for when you just want to take a shot, great for closer ranges when time is short. the windage turret is capped and the elevation is in 1/2 moa adjustments, so dialing is fast but not super precise. I took the time to map my loads so I could use the bdc, and had the elevation all setup with the zero stop should the need ever arise to crank on it. for that price I would go with the vortex for sure.

I vote for the Vortex too. Shooting long range at either targets or game really requires a parallax adjustment. It just allows you to be more precise and you can see the target better. The Vortex has parallax adjustment the Leupold does not.

The taller exposed turrets don't really get in your way. You will get used to them in no time.

Vortex hands down, if for nothing but the warranty. Here's an example of how they take care of you. My friend bought a used vortex HST MOA type 4x16x44 after mounting it, found it would not track consitintly. He does not have a computer, so, i emailed cust relations at Vtex. Explained what was going on, i received a very timely reply, like 2 days. Assured me they would take care of him, they did, sent him a brand new, in the box, scope. No questions asked. PERIOD! I have 3 vortex scopes, along with my friend, and i / his son we have 10 or 12 total. I'll continue to by them.

Buy once and cry once. Spend a little extra on a comparable Leupold and you won't be sorry. The first thing anyone ever brings up about Vortex is their warranty, why because they have had to use it. Leupold also has an excellent warranty but chances are you won't have to use it. I am on a pretty much first name basis with those clowns over at Vortex because I send them scopes back all the time for clients that bring me rifles that no longer shoot very well and they don't know whats wrong. 9 times out of 10 its because their Vortex has failed and will no longer hold zero or quit tracking.

I wouldn't worry about their durability. I have one on a braked 300 RUM with over 600 rounds thru it. The scope tracks flawlessly. Same with another one on a light 300 WSM with several hundred rounds thru it. Have another on a 7RM, no issues with it either.

Vortex is popular at their price point for long range shooting, not because of the warranty, but because the turrets have crisp well defined clicks and they track very well. They have good reticles and the glass is pretty acceptable too.

I have a two Leupold VX-3's and own a few Nikons. But I don't have any vortex optics besides a rangefinder. I do agree with the buy once cry once which is why I'm thinking about getting the VX-3i 4.5-14x40 or a Nikon Monarch. The Leupold VX-2 is still on the list. Other guys here are saying go with the vortex so I'm really torn.

Romero, I think we were recommending the Vortex over the VX-2 you listed in your initial post. The main reason for recommending the Vortex is because it is more geared toward long range shooting with it's dialing turret and parallax adjustment.

There are certainly better scopes. Of everything you have mentioned, the VX-3i 4.5-14x40 would be at the top of my list. I have owned a couple Nikon Monarchs. Good scopes with clear glass. They are just not as well geared for long range. Nikon is getting there but they are still behind the curve IMO.

Buy once and cry once. Spend a little extra on a comparable Leupold and you won't be sorry. The first thing anyone ever brings up about Vortex is their warranty, why because they have had to use it. Leupold also has an excellent warranty but chances are you won't have to use it. I am on a pretty much first name basis with those clowns over at Vortex because I send them scopes back all the time for clients that bring me rifles that no longer shoot very well and they don't know whats wrong. 9 times out of 10 its because their Vortex has failed and will no longer hold zero or quit tracking.

If the vortex fails, according to the warrenty they should get a new scope if the old one is not repairable. In my friends case, used scope, we sent it in, explained what was going on. Had the new replacment vortex in about 2 or 3 days. To me, that's how warrenty's are supposed to work. I personally know guys who have sent in leupolds for warrenty work, have gotten the scope back, only to find it not fixed. So, i guess the pendjulem swings both ways. I have some old leupolds, and 3 vortex HST i wouldn't at this time, trade one vortex for 2 leupolds. Just my personal opinion.

I have no complaints about the Warranty service. Everything has always been taken care of in a timely and very friendly manner. The Issue I have is having to use it so much. I can think of 10 Vortex scopes that have had to go back to every one of any other major manufacturer. They just don't hold up to heavy usage and by that, I mean rough country hunting and lots of long range shooting practice with lots of turret turning. The VX-3 line of scopes is leaps and bounds better optics than the Vortex. Simple straight forward and have all the features you need in a very light weight, compact and attractive package.

Why have I heard that Leupolds have erector problems and always fail eventually? I have heard this many times and my gun smith buddy says the same. That they are OK, but eventually go bad or stop tracking. I don't own either brand in question fyi. I'm just interested as I'm looking at a new scope purchase soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.