Another Newbie

LSU2006

I just went on my first deer hunt last weekend and am looking to get a new gun. I stumbled upon this site and was really impressed with the content and knowledge of the people here. Anyway, I live Louisiana and long range shots do not present themselves very often but I love long range shooting. Am I wrong in assuming that most long range guns can be used effectively for shortrange also? Also can anyone reccomend a good beginer gun for deer hunting and random varmits. Thanks In advance.

Welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Same rifle can be used. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Many variables need to be considered---Stand, shooting house, climber, distance you have to walk, bolt action, single shot, auto, pump... Some of these variables might mean you want to have more than one gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If your in B.R., give me a call. 225-936-8156 Happy Holidays!!!
George

[ QUOTE ]
Also can anyone reccomend a good beginer gun for deer hunting and random varmits.

[/ QUOTE ]

The simple answer I would offer is one of the remington or savage bolt action models with a heavy bbl in .308.

They are accurate right out of the box and can be tuned up as much as you desire. And they are not so heavy that you cant pack it around for a while if needed.

.308 winchester might accomodate your shooting distances, both long and short, nicely. You can load 125 to 130 grain rounds for a 3200 fps varmint load out to about 800 yards and something in the 165 to 180 range for deer out at 600 and for more distance on varmints.

The info and options for loading .308 win are almost endless. (and not very expensive.)

Just a thought.

I was leaning more toward the 7mm but I had not considered the .308. Is it true that the 7mm shoots with less drop? Thanks for all the help again.

P.S. Yes I live in BR is there any public land to hunt on around BR?

Due to the availability of pre-loaded match grade ammo the 308 definately takes a lead over most calibers. Don't worry too much about the flatter shooting cartridge, that is only a concern until you get to long range, then you will be adjusting your scope or using some sort of hold-off system like a mil-dot.

That brings us to the last question about a package. Although they make a great intro, value oriented option for short range, the package scopes usually don't offer the quality of optics that you need at extended range, nor do most offer target turrets for quick elevation and windage adjustments.

Welcome aboard and good luck in your growth.
RBrowning

[ QUOTE ]
Is it true that the 7mm shoots with less drop?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean the 7mm remington magnum yes it does. And there are other rounds that shoot flatter than that one. Flat shooting is not necessarilly accurate shooting. Accuracy is all about consistancy. Consistancy comes from practice and finding what works best for your gun.

This means lots of shooting which can mean a sore cheek and shoulder and developing a flinch that comes on worse with the magnums. They also cost more.

A .308 that is consistant will beat a 7mm mag that shoots like a lightning bolt that never hits the same place twice.

A .243 winchester also is a flat shooter that is great on varmints and deer but the power for long range deer is not really there. If you had said that all you wanted was a rifle for long range varmints I would have suggested this round but when you mentioned deer I thought you might do well with a round capable of a heavier bullet.

Don't worry, the .308 loaded to the fastest recipie speer offers for their 125 grain TNT beats the fastest load they have for the .25-06 with the same weight bullet.

Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. (and you still get to keep your shoulder and some money in your wallet.)

BTW no package deals. Pick your gun and pick your scope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks for everything guys. Looks like I will be going with the 308 then with no package deal. Lets just hit all the stops Any suggestions on a scope?

LSU2006, As I read your post, you never really asked about LRS. I believe you just wanted a good deer gun.
I have a 7mm in the browning A-Bolt with a 26" barrel, with a black stalker composite stock. The only ammo Ive shot in this rifle is remington 150 gr corelokts. This gun has taken 8 deer and 3 elk all 8 deer fell in there tracks or went less than 20 yds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif all 3 elk less than 50 yds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifall shots taken under 300 yds. scope is a 3x10x44 simmons I bought the gun with scope used for $300.00 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifit was a steal!!! 7mm very hard hitting also listen to these other posters the 308 is also a very good round. my .02 worth O I forget go LSU Tigers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm not really strong on optics but I have a Leupold vari X III tactical. It is a 4.5 x 14 x 40 with target turrets and a mil dot reticle and I like it just fine. I have it mounted on a custom tapered base made by Gunsmith Darryl Holland so I can adjust for shooting farther than with regular mounts. I would suggest a post for advice in the long range optics section or search for the pages of info that all the other new guys have asked on this same subject. Tell them what kind of hunting and hunting areas you will encounter and what kind of money you are willing to spend and see what comes back.

For the 308 I like the Leupold M3 3.5 -10x. It's calibrated for 168 grain match grade ammo for the 308. So when you have it sighted in at 100 yards, you reset the turret to the 100 yds mark then if you want to take a 500 yard shot, you simply adjust the elevation turret to the 5 and you will be right on the money. Amazingly enough it works very well. It has 1 MOA clicks for elevation instead of .25 MOA clicks, but as long as your not going to compete with the rifle, you'll be happy with that scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.