Another dumb question.

just my opinion ; I'd shoot it before I changed the rail . that 55 moa rail could be on there for a unseen reason . in a perfect world that rail would gain you 55 moa , but nothings perfect .

here is my story . 8-32 NSX scope has 65 moa elevation . I have a 40 moa rail . I have 58 moa usable elevation . I have a 100 yard zero . this is on a TAC 338 action . this is a stiller rail .

I shot it with a stiller 20 moa rail , I forget exactly what I had for usable elevation on the turret . looking at the numbers , it took a 20 moa rail to about center the scope .
The previous owner was doing some 2500 - 3000 yard shooting with it. As far as how things "might" turn out...I get it ... it's a factory action and I know that there is a chance of all kinds of things being out of wack and that stacking may be your friend or foe. Just wondering about the Burris ring thing.

Thanks,
Tod

the Burris rings are popular on the accurate shooter forum . most of the guys are BR shooters , so I'm not sure how much recoil they deal with . I assume not that much .

I've got Burris Signature Zee rings on a 300RUM and a 338RUM and have not experienced any scope slippage due to the inserts.

Using offset inserts in the front and rear, you could negate the 55moa base IMO. However, a new base isn't that expensive and you wont save much by going the offset insert route. I'd buy the base that you need and then select whatever rings strike your fancy.

I have a Ken Farrell 20 MOA Rail here now off of my EDGE (went to a 40 MOA), but it uses standard screws and I am pretty sure that the new gun is drilled and tapped for 8/40. Would we need to drill out the base screw holes for the bigger screws?

I have a Ken Farrell 20 MOA Rail here now off of my EDGE (went to a 40 MOA), but it uses standard screws and I am pretty sure that the new gun is drilled and tapped for 8/40. Would we need to drill out the base screw holes for the bigger screws?
usually you need to specify the screw size , so I'd say yes the holes would be wrong

Some time back, while in South Dakota, we shot a 338 Lapua at 1100 yards. Don't remember the scope but I'm pretty sure in didn't have a 20MOA rail,much less a 55. But we dialed up enough to make hits.
Don't know much about the NF NX8, but NF is excellent optics and I would easily assume it has "zero stop". If so, "bite the bullet" and buy TPS rings and an EGW rail. Zero at 100 and set stop ( with a little wriggle room). Then you are good to go LR.

my new rail just arrived Thursday . my old set I was maxed at 2375 .

Attachments

• P1010977 (1).JPG
    P1010977 (1).JPG
    397.4 KB · Views: 105
  • P1010978 (1).JPG
    P1010978 (1).JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 110
another problem that arises when bottoming out your scope travel is the black quarter moon at the top of your sight picture...Not a huge thing but anytime I have that it bothers me....

another problem that arises when bottoming out your scope travel is the black quarter moon at the top of your sight picture...Not a huge thing but anytime I have that it bothers me....
Well...I've seen it on one of my 1K bench guns.....didn't know that it was from being "bottomed out". Now that I think about it, I have seen it at 100 but haven't seen it at a 1K match. Great info!! Learn something new every day!!

Thanks. Tod

May I ask why you need a 100yrd zero?
This is not what I do for guns I will be twirling knobs for.
Just curious.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.