Annual Harvests For Moose

Coyote Slayer,

I'm not sure what the native harvest numbers are, but I'm sure they all aren't reported. I won't go into what I think about the subsitance priority too much but, Gary's father, Warren Olson has it in court right now. I think no equal access is BS. Racism for one, brotha.
--------------------

Brent

I'm guessing you're refering to this.

My thoughts on the issue, nothin more, nothin less.

Bitchin? No, just replying with my belief on ThunderHunter's statement.

Do I think the law is just, fair and constitutional? No.

Why? Switch shoes, if it was the other way around, and the "white man" happened to be "native" to this state, do you really think WE WOULDN'T be called racist if we treated the Indian and Eskimo the way we are treated?

Hell no. They would be right too, because the law is race based.

This day and age, you choose to live where you do, as you've stated. Expecting unequal rights to our states resources is BS, I don't care who was here first, what race you are, or what YOU believe is fair. Fair is fair, and equal access means EQUAL ACCESS, twist it however you want.

I was really quite surprised to hear the natives that were at the last meeting up here from around Koyukuk saying they don't trap the Wolves because they only get $150 a piece for them, so it isn't worth it. Meanwhile they're complaining the Moose population is way down, and they want the airial wolf hunt being looked at. My buddy Ken Barber, who's on the advisory board out here gets $350 MINIMUM for a wolf, and they couldn't answer him why they only get $150. I think the airial hunt is a good thing, and I hope it passes.

How many Moose are left in the field? A ton of them, I'm sure of that. Game Warden said 42 of them were confiscated this fall in just one area up north along a ten mile stretch of road, all were under 50" with not enough brow tines.

If I've not killed 9 Wolves, and 49 Coyotes this year, that make me what? I've shot none of either this year if it matters. One Bear in the spring.

Wreck my way of thinking? White or whatever, makes no difference to me, I don't even care if you're married to a native. I just don't think I should have any more rights than you, no matter where I live, or what color skin I have, who was here first OR WHATEVER CASE YOU WANT TO MAKE.
wink.gif

Unfair you say HMMMMMM!!!!!! its funny the real problem is Urbin vs Rural that has no color or who was here frist. If you think you are not getting your fair share work to have anchor town made rural show the points of where living in the largest city in the state is a hardship at times.I don't want a cop shop, red lights or anything else the big city has to offer and I am sorry for you being taxed to death and you may not want those things eather but the rest of the town must and no I don't get a dime of your CITY Tax dollars as a lot say from that part of the state

Even Fairbanks gets cut out of the game my own two kids cant hunt where they grew up hunting due to where they live and yet they understand the reason. For every ten people from your part of the state that yell unfair maybe 3 yell from Fairbanks I wonder why that is, as to Delta the board is going to rethink there being rural due to all the new people moving in and here to work on the new base just becous you are rural now does not mean you will be in the on coming years.

As to the amount paid on wolves I can't answer that but I do wonder about the $300 amount paid as to the lowest price moast all fur buyers pay less for pups and they add size in to the price paid as well as color has been that way for ever. as to the killing of wolves by air the feds started that before we were even a state so it was a service that was provided no one wants a good thing for them stoped

Brent this is not a me or you thing if Delta lost its rural standing on monday that is life but I sure as hell would not cry how unfair it is that people in Tok can do this and I can't >>><<< Coyote Slayer

What about Delta not being rual any more.Thats a joke it pretty remote.Things will dry up after missle base is done.The army and fish and game like fires for moose too.They almost burned up Delta the other year.It will be to where you can hunt at all on road system.Its getting that way fast.I visited the Kenai a couple of years ago its more like Flordia than Alaska.The F&G knows how to missmanage moose.The moose have gotten way smaller antlers scence it turned to 4 brow tines.I use to see lots of 65to 69" moose.NOw a four brow tine moose here is 36" to 45 inches .I only saw one over 60 inch killed.You shoot the biggest ones the little ones breed.That with a gene pool thats headed towards basket racked moose.They had the wonderful cow and calf hunt in 20 a everybody here was against it.The moose managed themselves very well thousands of years.Now the wonderful Govt steps in and messes up everything.I talked to biologish he wants 20d to be a draw hunt.That sucks for Delta residents unless we get picked first.Harldy anyone get to hunt the buffalo here from Delta.

Well Mike the Bio. Here is a jurk and has allways been I have no clue why we have a board here they tell him what the people want and he does what he wants no matter what, it is just like the youth hunt people were not aganist the hunt just the fact that it was any Bull and the season was 30 days long and no one here wanted a Cow moose and calf hunt in unit 20A even if it was a draw hunt but we got it.

As to the Buff tags when you have an area of the state that has three quarters of the people moast of the tags go there just simple math the part that gets me the moast is the guys that own the farm land charge $400 a pop if you kill a Buff. on there property they own the Ag.rights not the animals on it I thought the state owned the animals I guess some one for got to tell them that out on the Farms.

There you go Brent you want to yell unfair you put your money out to draw a Buff. tag and after ten years or more you get your tag and drive all the way here to learn that if you kill your Buff, on a farm it will coast you $400 Bucks now that sucks
shocked.gif
mad.gif
>>><<< Coyote Slayer

Buffalo in Delta on Farms eat all their hay.The farmers there make hardly any money.If youyr charged $400 its worth the meat.I know where to hunt them in the woods where they cross the river.It just alot harder hunting.Its hell to pack one out.The fish and game makes a ton off the drawing.People in Delta hated that youth hunt.That was where most people hunted.There were so many people around dElta hunting that it was very hard to hunt away from any one.Delta is a rural farm town I dont know how its a urban town.The missble base was not as good for Delta as people though.The city council people made lots.They didnt hire hardly any one from Delta.It made rent go up for locals.The worst thing was the 65 mph speed limit and all the construction trucks.They have wacked the heck out of mooose.I talked to Head Biologist in Delta he want 4 wheelers gone and a draw permit for moose there.That mean we cant hunt where we live.We cant hunt sheep where we live it draw permit .Hardly anyone in Delta gets those.The fish and game wanted to either bring in the whole bison herd and test for TB or shoot them all.They are wonderful in mismanaging the game.Its headed towards no hunting on road system and using a guide for everyone.The guides would love that.I moved to Alaska to hunt and its the biggest pain in the butt place to figure out where you can hunt.I guess the federal subsistance hunt for Delta will be gone scence its turned urban.It has 4 gas stations , a grocery store,two building supply places,thre resturants and a few other thing.Delta is a small spilt in the road.I will probally end up moving if it get too bad.I guess it will be a wonderful Russian town in the end with no animals.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.