Announcing the New Hammer HHT

Ahhhh! I hadn't even thought of that!!! 🤣🤣😂

I see your "hammer" and raise you a corkscrew!

Back a few years ago hornady had a "get loaded" promotion.

Hammer needs to do a "get hammered" one…they even make copper mugs now 🤣

But I think if we make these hypothetical bullets a "get screwed" sales pitch may not be so popular
You'll never be able to beat the "Dicken's Cider" adds--- just say the name 5 times fast and and you'll figure it out 😁

Hard to push in low capacity cartridges. 6x6.8, 6x47 (rem) etc. just can't get them to shoot well. Even in guns that shoot everything well. But I'll try some of these tipped versions.
Strongly suggest running the faster powders that use less powder case capacity to get velocity. The faster you drive them seems to improve accuracy. I run .358 140 SH in a .357 Remington Maximum Encore 24" rifle (MGM). Small capacity cartridge. I topped out over 2700 fps by switching to faster powder. Crimping is huge effect on accuracy as well. Lee FCD is cheap and work great.

We are intentionally not using aluminum. We have machined tips out of copper and aluminum in the past. We could not get them to work well for terminal performance. They are too hard and will kick out to one side causing the bullet to open unevenly, resulting in the bullet being misdirected or even tumbling. Not good and one of the reasons that we have said in the past that Hammers would never have a tip. This time is different than anything we tried in the past. Has to do with tip design and how it marries up to the bullet. Unlike other tipped bullets, these do not deflect, even on drastic angled heavy bone impacts. This Hammer HHT design has actually enhanced terminal performance at low to mid range impact velocities.

We just had our own mold made and will be sourcing the tips locally. This will greatly reduce the possibility of deformed tips. We are in the process of determining the best material for producing the tips. As always, terminal performance will dictate what material is used for tip production. @fordy will be laying these into a pile of animals as soon as we can get them in his hands. As always, we are tasking him with finding a way to make the bullet/tip fail. He was unable to get the current tip material to fail, so the standard is set.

We have sourced a company to design and manufacture a machine that will install the tips. Initial delivery estimate is spring of 2024. We could have waited another year to announce the HHT, after the year of testing we did on animals. We decided to bring it to market in the best way possible now.
Gday
I haven't been on here for awhile and had some spare time or more a distraction was warranted so what better place to come to for a laugh than lrh then you go & put the above up steve 😱how much crow must I eat lol

I'll leave that alone for a couple minutes while my serious kicks in as this is so important imo to finding pills with less weaknesses

Throughout my journey of trying to find a pill that covers more bases than the previous one that held the bar to a certain standard I've played with tips in many brands & learnt where they give less than ideal results to darn right failures also the good attributes ( but I look @ weakness as a better indicator as good is good in so many pills but bad hmmm I think everyone gets that part )

The hht is the only pill I've not failed.
Had one other brand come close but had subtle weaknesses in its tip design & that's a aluminium tip but way better than other aluminium tips I'd seen
I'll leave all other parts out of where a pill will fail overall in its design or a lesser extent the material used & just talking tips here
Basically The hht was immune to the normal problems associated with tips & I even went to insane angles /resistances to see if I could get that tip to falter

We ( I had a couple mates help shoot some critters while I autopsied) also ground tips down on initial testing to see what happens to different shapes /styles from a opening consistency /terminal position ( I love tinkering also to see what if ) yes I was thinking other applications also & even had deformed tips from magazine damage of a pill that sits in a magazine for 20 to 30 shots then gets fired @ distances of 400 to 500 yards checking point of impact discrepancy & terminal results
Which basically meant nothing as didn't matter what we did the consistency of that pill opening was basically the same ( you get slight differences from different resistances im talking same resistances different styles/shapes creating the same outcome )
Leave tip out & you get bigger variations across different velocities /resistances

the new tip material has got some huge shoes to fill if it's going to pass the current one & just when I thought my testing days were coming to a end the question came from the hammer boys which took me a bit to respond then the thought of mmmm can it be better ( I don't really know how from a terminal point but if you can stop magazine damage it makes the thought/confidence better imo ) so I jumped @ the chance but time will tell how much my body objects to those "yep for sure " words of mine lol

It won't affect the terminal performance. @fordy tried to make them fail by damaging them. He did find some way to cheat and make one fail. I don't remember now what it was. Something like hitting a tree first. Maybe he will answer that.
with the above (2 parts to this )
If I remember correctly I said to Steve do you want the good or bad news & straight off the bat he said the bad first

1st part I said to Steve was i failed to fail it yep i failed not the pill & those who know me understand what lengths I go to to fail a pill & all of these are what has happened in the field over the years that I can replicate on a fairly consistent basis & how annoyed I was from a personal point not just stupid stuff that will fail pills as anyone can do that eg glass is a classic

That is not saying the hht will never fail but it's got the most runs on the boards with any pill I've shot so the chances are Murphy is held @ arms length longer

The 2nd part
Was this a fail 🤷‍♂️
I guess so as I was shooting through scrub/brush & the pill failed to connect where I was aiming lol 😜

but on further shooting with my mate we did shoot through trees with the hht & as long as the tree wasn't to big we got a completely different outcome from the hh or sh line as the petals did separate from the shank ( yes ive autopsied a few trees in my time also lol 😂)

I don't advocate shooting a animal behind a tree to clear that up & it's one I don't test for but have hit plenty of trees on running shots with a lot of different brands with varying levels of success it's one I don't like

I will give these new tips a run to see if I can fail them but I'm not saying I will fail them this time as still have plenty of crow to eat from last time I opened my mouth

Cheers

Lots of good discussion about velocity, terminal performance and etc., which is important in taking down game.…But what are people seeing with respect to "Wind Drift" in those LONG shots? In other words, is it more than you would expect or no noticeable difference?

Not nocking the Hammer line because I use them also with some cartridges, but if it were that good with respect to accuracy, then why are the F Class and Benchrest shooters not using them on extended ranges. Just curious and wanted some feedback…not looking for an argument.

then why are the F Class and Benchrest shooters not using them on extended ranges.
Because they have zero interest in terminal performance. You can't divorce the entire point of a hunting bullet from ballistic performance like a target shooter can. You also might be overstating how much drift is problematic in a sport where you get sighting rounds. 6 Dasher is common on 1000 yard ranges yet drifts significantly more than 284s or 30 cals. It's used because it doesn't matter nearly as much how much lateral movement there is in total (because that's corrected out with sighters) but rather how much in aggregate in the group. The goal is how fast the shooter can run the gun and stay on target to stay in the same wind. Smaller case with less recoil runs significantly faster on the line. They 100% get to cheat on the wind because they get sighters to find it - that's entirely different than a first-shot-only-shot situation like shooting at an animal where there has to be a balance of getting there precisely but also working when it hits.

In short range benchrest for group ag velocity can actually be a negative factor. I've known guys who dropped from 6 Dasher back to 6 BR because the Dasher needed to run faster to be in tune and that led to more dispersion in groups than the same bullet running slower. 30 BR pushes 110gn flat base bullets about as slow as possible but groups incredibly well. The same bullet going slower will in theory drift more, but it doesn't matter at the ranges they shoot at.

On the flip side the CE .375 400gn Lazer is probably one of the most common ELR bullets shot, and it's a copper mono. Bullet to bullet consistency is significantly more important than maximized BC in that game. Don't get me wrong, they want as much BC as they can possible get - but a less than 1% BC variance from shot to shot is a requirement that very long cup-and-core bullets can't hold that as well.

Last edited:
Because they have zero interest in terminal performance. You can't divorce the entire point of a hunting bullet from ballistic performance like a target shooter can. You also might be overstating how much drift is problematic in a sport where you get sighting rounds. 6 Dasher is common on 1000 yard ranges yet drifts significantly more than 284s or 30 cals. It's used because it doesn't matter nearly as much how much lateral movement there is in total (because that's corrected out with sighters) but rather how much in aggregate in the group. The goal is how fast the shooter can run the gun and stay on target to stay in the same wind. Smaller case with less recoil runs significantly faster on the line. They 100% get to cheat on the wind because they get sighters to find it - that's entirely different than a first-shot-only-shot situation like shooting at an animal where there has to be a balance of getting there precisely but also working when it hits.

In short range benchrest for group ag velocity can actually be a negative factor. I've known guys who dropped from 6 Dasher back to 6 BR because the Dasher needed to run faster to be in tune and that led to more dispersion in groups than the same bullet running slower. 30 BR pushes 110gn flat base bullets about as slow as possible but groups incredibly well. The same bullet going slower will in theory drift more, but it doesn't matter at the ranges they shoot at.

On the flip side the CE .375 400gn Lazer is probably one of the most common ELR bullets shot, and it's a copper mono. Bullet to bullet consistency is significantly more important than maximized BC in that game. Don't get me wrong, they want as much BC as they can possible get - but a less than 1% BC variance from shot to shot is a requirement that very long cup-and-core bullets can't hold that as well.
Good explanation, thank you. I also wondered this and didn't know the reason.

Recent Posts