Announcing the New Hammer HHT

Now you guys got me thinking…be an interesting experiment to have bullets made to be DELIBERATELY non concentric by varying degrees and see how much it affects things, and if it does (surely it must?) is there a point under which it doesn't matter? Like if point of a turned copper solid is actually a few thousandths deviated from true centre vs a few tens of thousands…is the relationship linear? The more "out of round" the less accurate…or maybe there's some surprises to be had 🤣
The deformed tips will have more of an issue with bc variations showing up at extended range than close to mid range accuracy. The weight of the polymer is so little that it is unlikely to cause it to be off center to the extent to cause significant flyers. However, it will cause bc variations from a non deformed tip. Unless it is a severe deformation, I doubt it would make any noteable difference at the ranges these are typically shot at for hunting purposes. It would be unacceptable as an ELR bullet. As you stated, different bullets are generally chosen for that use. And will drive those with OCD crazy ha ha. For the intended purpose and general ranges these are used at, it will likely be a non issue.

Actually, Fordy and friends intentionally distressed the tips on several of the prototype HHTs during testing in Australia.

They wanted to see what differences in terminal performance were observable with different tip configurations.

Some bullets were shot into animals with no tip installed. Others, they ground the tips down and made the tips flat/blunt.

Final results were the standard tip performed the best overall, by a good margin.

Minor imperfections/dimples in the tips probably have no downside at all - other than cosmetic - in a hunting projectile.

As Butterbean noted, scratches or other imperfections on the base of the bullet would probably be a greater concern😊
Interesting!

How fast do y'all think a 32 inch 25-300 weatherby might crank a 75 hammer. Or 90 grain absolute out?
Very fast!😱 I had zero problem with 85SH over 4K in my (our) .270TH 27" barrel and still working on getting the 90HH over 4K. I am not sure how much gain longer barrel gives you with lighter bullets. You are using faster powders to get the full advantage of the PDR effect.

Now here is something I am kicking around. Setting a barrel throat/jump AND TWIST SPECIFICALLY for lighter bullets to minimize potential blowby to maximize powder burn efficiency and twist effect on higher velocity with light bullets. Of course, it limits use with heavier longer bullets but think about it? We build barrels to accommodate heavier longer bullets, why not dedicated barrel for light bullets? Twist and jump now optimized for LASER performance? If We believe we are seeing fast twist effect on lighter bullets, this could help maximize lighter bullet performance. Gee, another dedicated rifle. Oh darn.

I ordered the 75s for a dasher too. I'm gonna try them in my 28" barrel. If fast enough thought i chamber in a 24" for varmints or deer off the deck. I'd be curious to see what u get for speeds 75 & 55s
Mine is a hunting gun with a 22" benchmark with a 1-7 twist. I'm going to try benchmark with the 55 HH and maybe also with the 75 HHT. Or I will try varget with the 75 HHT.

What powders do you plan on trying?

Very fast!😱 I had zero problem with 85SH over 4K in my (our) .270TH 27" barrel and still working on getting the 90HH over 4K. I am not sure how much gain longer barrel gives you with lighter bullets. You are using faster powders to get the full advantage of the PDR effect.

Now here is something I am kicking around. Setting a barrel throat/jump AND TWIST SPECIFICALLY for lighter bullets to minimize potential blowby to maximize powder burn efficiency and twist effect on higher velocity with light bullets. Of course, it limits use with heavier longer bullets but think about it? We build barrels to accommodate heavier longer bullets, why not dedicated barrel for light bullets? Twist and jump now optimized for LASER performance? If We believe we are seeing fast twist effect on lighter bullets, this could help maximize lighter bullet performance. Gee, another dedicated rifle. Oh darn.
I like how your brain works. It's easy for me to say "go for it". Keep us posted.

I started tipping .375 425gr Cutting Edge projectiles well before they released their Lazer line to help with terminal performance

I made the MTH HP deeper by 2+ times & enlarged the diameter to accept the early Hornady V-Max "melty" tips

This was done a wee bit agriculturally in a lathe which resulted in a few blemish's, off set/bent/loose tips, too big a flat causing a step under the tip etc

These projectiles still shot just as accurately as the "perfect" ones I made or the untouched ones at 2K yards

What I noticed was the tipped ones were constantly 2 moa lower impact at distance even though they were slightly lighter & faster with the same zero

My conclusion was I had reduced the BC by tipping them

2 MOA lower with a tip doesn't make sense. My guess is that the the old substitute-tips were coming off in flight and lowering the BC.

Mine is a hunting gun with a 22" benchmark with a 1-7 twist. I'm going to try benchmark with the 55 HH and maybe also with the 75 HHT. Or I will try varget with the 75 HHT.

What powders do you plan on trying?
QUOTE]

I've been using varget with 105 Berger's in my target gun. Thought I start with that.

We build barrels to accommodate heavier longer bullets, why not dedicated barrel for light bullets?
quiet a few years ago, I built a 300 lapua (bat-hart- McMillan) in a 24" 12 twist throated for 165 grain ballistic tips. Results were 3700 fps with spectacular results on deer. I need to drag it outa the safe and run some 124 hammers through it and just see what happens.

Dang. That was rough. You can use the bullets that don't have a tip. You can wait till next year when the tipping machines is here. We did not want to wait another year to launch the line. The top of your list did exactly the same thing. Some others see more importance in the tip than function. I'm ok with that.
😁 😁 You know I love you Steve,,, and your bullets.. I guess a guy cant speak his mind and be honest on here anymore! And if the Fan boyzz only knew just how much I buy from hammer bullets as an individual/small business, and trust hammer enough after a simple phone call to the owner himself to buy bullets in bulk that haven't even been released yet to load in my big bore rifles they would sing a different tune!! **probably not though**

You say use the ones that don't have a tip .. I do.. A LOT..... 181, 140, 90, 124, 223, 235 (even custom turned 235's by YOU to test, thanks by the way they work fabulous in that barrel) 236, 155, 199, 400, 404, 285, 270, and list goes on!

I will use them all, time and time again like have been, and killing s%$#, like I have been not just talking about it. And when the actual factory installed tipped bullets come on line (which I know they will, I'm just not happy that I cant use them for moose this year) I will use them and be happy as hell. But, like I said my time is way more valuable to me and my business to be working or shooting not sitting at my bench hoping I can get enough bullets tipped to go shoot them. So I hope they come on line faster than expected because I would love to try them as a load and go option!

Last edited: