Android Application for elevations, etc.

RemingtonShooter

I know the title is vague. But here is what I want. Often I sight in at about 2000 feet and all is good. I always try to sight in again where I am at. But it would be nice if there was an application that could tell me the change in POI and update tables. For instance, at 2000 feet and at 200 yards I am dead on. Now, at 8000 feet, I would like to know without shooting the gun (although I still will), what my new POI and range card will look like. Doe that make sense or am missing something?

N

What you're describing is the basic function of any ballistics app.

There is a slight complication that comes in due to zeroing at 200 yards.

If you zero at 100 yards, that's such a short range that your zero will hold at any altitude because there's very little atmospheric affect over 100 yards, and your zero is pretty much 'mechanical'. However, if you zero at longer ranges, then atmospherics may affect your actual zero, and then of course your trajectory predictions beyond that.

Some ballistics programs allow you to input your 'zero conditions', which will allow the program to account for effects of different environment on your zero.

If you're a long range shooter expecting shots up to 600+ yards, the best policy is to use a 100 yard zero that's immune to altitude effects, and adjust your aim based on that for longer shots.

If you're only expecting shots up to 200 yards, you can probably come up with a simple rule of thumb like: 1/4 MOA click for every 4000 feet of elevation to maintain your 200 yard zero (for example).

-Bryan

I use Strelok. It's a free app, and works pretty good. I'm pretty sure it will do what you're asking. The interface took me a little bit to get used to, because it's not as intuitive as some apps, but once you play around on it for a bit it seems to be ok. As far as the actual calculations for ballistics, it only uses G1 bc, but I haven't tested it out far enough yet to really test it. So it may be spot on, or maybe a little off, but it's at least ok so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts