Anchorage, Alaska saying hi!

akhunter

Hello all! My Names Phil Lincoln and I live in Anchorage Alaska. I've been on this sit off and on for some time now mostly lurking. I moved to Anchorage in 89 with the military and have been here ever since. I'm 38, married and have 10 year old identical twin daughters. Of the girls, Hayley is very much like her mother and Jessie is very much a tomboy. This spring, at 9 years old, Jessie took her first big game animal. It was a dandy black bear that was Huge and had a skull that would be just short of Boone and Crocket. She has informed me that she would like to hunt deer next. I'm a contractor here in anchorage and am basically a glorified handyman. I grew up in the mountains of Northern California and have been hunting since day one.
My interest in longer Range (past 300 yards) shooting was peaked when a couple old high school friends came up to Alaska to hunt caribou with me a couple years ago. One of the guys is a semi-serious long distance shooter practicing on metal plates out to 900 yards. Oh what I wouldn't give to have a place like that to shoot close to me here in Anchorage. Anyway after he took a well planned and executed shot on a nice bull caribou at 800 yards I was hooked. He shoots a 300 RUM in a Remington 700 action. On top of the rifle sits a Leupold VXiii 4.5X14X40 long range with 30mm tube. He has the Ballistic compensating knob made by the Leupold custom shop set up for the hand loads he's currently shooting. In anticipation of a fall elk hunt with these guys in Idaho I got to work perfecting my current hand load and placed the same Leupold scope on my Rem 300 SAUM. The rifle was trued and fitted with a #3 contour Hart and has just been a fantastic shooter. On the average day it shoots one of the new 180 Tipped X bullets well under an inch and has shot groups in the three eights range. I got my Ballistic dial all lined out and off to Idaho. I figured for sure that I would get a shot at a bull at 100 yards after spending the summer loading and shooting but as luck would have it late on the first day we stumbled on a couple bulls that had obviously been spooked by other hunters and were on the move. We anticipated their move and got in on them and settled in for the shot. We were hoping to take both bulls but ended up settling for one. My two friends were calling ranges for me and ready to back me up. The best time to take the bull ended up being out in the middle of a clearing and dead nuts 600 yards. I spun the dial to 600, no wind and squeezed the trigger. The bull dropped in his tracks. The three of us were hooping and high fiveing, what a rush. My friends said they saw the bullet and as soon as it hit they said they saw a big fluff of hair and instantly a big red spot. One of the guys said it was one of the coolest things he'd ever seen. So I'm hooked and want to further my skills in the future. As of now I'm not really interested in doing what it takes to shoot further, like a bigger gun, longer barrel and electronic gadgets to figure the shot. I'll just be happy with the capabilities of my trusty 300 and go from there.
Phil Lincoln
Anchorage, Alaska

Mybull.jpg

MeJeremywhereIshotmybullfrom.jpg

Jessieandherbear.jpg

Jessieandher3rdrabbit.jpg

Welcome to Long Range Hunting Phil.

Congratulations on a very nice bull. Sounds like you're hooked. With places like Alaska and Idaho to hunt you'll have a lot of fun stretching things out.

Tell Jessie congratulations of a great black bear. It's great that you're getting her started early. :)

Welcome to the site Phil.
There's allot of knowledge amongst these members.

I spend a few days in Anchorage every year on my way to Tok, then Northway, then finally Chisana. Hunt out of Chisana in the Wrangell's.

Thanks guys for the welcome. I'm looking forward to learning more.
Dick, I feel really fortunate that Jessie is so into hunting. I know that some dads persuade their kids to do the things that they like. I don't think I could talk Jessie out of it, she just can't get enough shooting and hunting. I see a light weight/recoil gun build in the not to distant future.
Joel, do you come up every year to guide?
Phil in Anchorage

Sent you a PM Phil.
I'm usually there every year, but had too much going on here to break away this year.
Will be through Anchorage mid September then back through again in October.
Maybe we can get together..

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.