Anacostia River Pictures

Buffalobob

It was the annual Anacostia River Trash Cleannup. My wife and daughter went early in order to get one of the canoes. They paddled across the river to the shoreline of the National Arboretum and picked up trash there. If you ever visit the National Arboretum be sure to go down to the river and take a look.

Earthday201010.jpg

Earthday201012.jpg

Earthday201011.jpg

Earthday201014.jpg

I went up on Watts Branch which is a tributary to the Anacostia River and worked on a trash dam caused by a fallen tree.

The trash dam before.

Earthday201015.jpg

Five bags of recyclable bottles and cans and five bags of styrofoam.
Earthday201020.jpg

Still plenty of trash left.
Earthday2010.jpg

A truck load of trash.

Earthday20107.jpg

Two and a half hours of work got this much.

Earthday20104.jpg

Outstanding Work Bob and Family..... My pet Peeve is what you showed in the "trash dam"... People ---- look and think about that empty pop bottle in the bed of your truck and where it goes when it blows out!

Ok Bob---you can do no wrong now in my book.

Holy cow, that a lot of trash. Glad things aren't that bad here, every once in a while you find a trash pile but man that is ridiculous!
Pack it in Pack it out!

Holy Smokes the old anacostia river, how I remember the cold winter mornings at deep sea diving school at the Washington DC Navy yard. We would don our wet suits and take a 30 minute morning swim. Brings back fond memories after I got over the diarrhea from being in the river so much.

Cheers & TIghter Groups: Eaglesnester

The Navy Diving school was closed because the disease attack rate was about 30%. A study was done by Dr Rita Caldwell of the University of Maryland Sea Grant Program for the Navy. I worked with her on two additional studies which were used by the Washington Metropolitan Police Dept. divers to get hazardous duty pay.

BB, thank you for your time, energy and concern for the environment. It's amazing the stuff/trash I've come across. Good to see you and others care unforetunately not enough do. Nice picks before and after...brongs the point home. Hats off to you.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.